• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Artifacts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jr1

Hi
I'm currently experienceing some artifacts on my xfx geforce 8800gtx during bootup but as soon as windows is up and running it seems like they are toally gone

Anyone who knows anything about that one ?
any answer is apriciated

jr1

I had to send my Bfg 8800gtx back for rma last week because it was doing the same thing, I received the replacement today.

These things get so hot.:temper:

At first booting the screen is haveing a bunch of weird letters all over and then when it's starting win it's like an inch or two wide blue ribbons going from the top and down at the screen
Then when it's getting into windows it's gone
Gameing i'm not doing exept for the builtin games in windows
I'll try to get a picture of it and post up in a little , just editing in a link to them

Edit

Here is a link to the pictures http://s490.photobucket.com/albums/rr266/grandpi/
Usually the blue ribbons\stripes ar a little more dense

Last edited:
At first booting the screen is haveing a bunch of weird letters all over and then when it's starting win it's like an inch or two wide blue ribbons going from the top and down at the screen
I'll try to get a picture of it and post up in a little , just editing in a link to them

Edit

Here is a link to the pictures http://s490.photobucket.com/albums/rr266/grandpi/

By any chance does changing you screen refresh rate fix it for a few seconds untill you launch a program? If not Id say call up the company and explain whats going on if your under warranty.

looks like the start of a ram issue maybe. I had a GTX280 had red checkerd vertical stripes and less corruption on the desktop then after a few more boots I had the green light but no outputs.

I would chase up the warranty on it, looks like the hardwares trying to retire.

That's what i was afraid of
I have no clue as of if there still is warranty or not on it , i bought it along with some other stuff and from selling some of that again that i didn't need i have this here card for free along with the other things i needed

if it was a hot runner then the constant expansion and contraction between different areas maybe cause one of the welds to fracture.

im slowly working towards the oven for my 280 after a friend had a look and didnt think the coil I had spotted was duff... but my oven markings get sketchy past 250`c so I need to take it elsewhere.

last resort the oven maybe if the warranty doesnt prove good.

to me if its corrupt at boot then you can not worry so much about looking to the OS & drivers for an issue.

you can clear the mobo bios just to be sure... had strange effects from doggy bios posts after clocking fun before.

check if its a wedge of dust under the cooler as well.

make sure the slots clear and try reseating the card.

yep im out of long shots at that.

hope you get it sorted somehow... current prices here makes me hope I dont need anything in a hurry.

Edit

RMA the card, It has a bad memory chip.

Viper

Dang i forgot about the oventrick
Thanks for reminding me , i will for sure try that one out i'm just gone put it on max and see how it goes :) and who knows i might get lucky

edit

I just wrote a ticket to xfx asking about the card and i hope to hear back from them soon

thanks for all the answers and suggestions here
very apriciated
jr1

Last edited:
Just got an answer from xfx telling that the card is out of warranty :(
Ooowell not the end of the world since it probably just would have been a backupcard anyways
I'm useing a gainward gtx260 in one and a asus eah 4850 in the other pc her and also all in all it was kind of free so it's not a big loss
My next step here i think will be the oventrick and if it helps perfect and if it doesn't to bad

Just got an answer from xfx telling that the card is out of warranty :(
Ooowell not the end of the world since it probably just would have been a backupcard anyways
I'm useing a gainward gtx260 in one and a asus eah 4850 in the other pc her and also all in all it was kind of free so it's not a big loss
My next step here i think will be the oventrick and if it helps perfect and if it doesn't to bad

I thought xfx did lifetime warrantys?

same.. usually they do.. maybe did you tell them you oc'd it or something that might verbally void the warranty?

I just told them that it started getting artifacts and that i suspected it das a memorychip that was starting to go bad
*** of ocing the card i don't but what have happenedin the past with it i don't know

Back