• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my game freezing up because my cpu is just over it's limit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ny_driver

Registered
I don't believe it was overheating, and my memory tests out. It's running at 3003mHz and stock is 2200mHz. I'm giving all the voltage I can which is 1.575-1.6 on CPUZ. Any suggestions or clever ideas? I want to race @ 3 g's.

You really need to know your temps, i would guess that it is overheating given what you're told us.

I failed prime @ 3003mHz, 2915mHz in 1 and 5 minutes respectively. Now am 20 minutes into it @ 2860mHz & 1.46-47v. The highest it got that I saw while running prime @ the first two frequencies was 52c and 51 so far @ this frequency. But on a side note...the core sensor is faulty on this chip. I go by the sensor labled cpu in HWMonitor, so maybe I should add a couple degrees.

Bobnova is right. It is possible for games or windows for that matter to freeze up due to overheating of the CPU, GPU and/or any other component like the RAM. It is usually followed by a blue screen of death (BSOD) or blank screen.

The problem should go away after you find a stable clock speed at an acceptable temperature.

50C is seems rather low for that voltage. Is it possible if HWMonitor is not accurately reading the temps?

Thing to do is drop the clocks and volts back down to stock and see if the problem goes away. If it does, it's an OC related issue.
If it doesn't, give it the volts (but not the speeds) and see what the temp sensor does as well as whether the problems come back.

I cranked it down to 2860mHz and 1.5v, and it's solid and didn't break 50c during testing. Like I said the core sensor is way low( like 5+ degrees less than cpu) so I go with the cpu.

Back