• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

might be a dumbass question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's correct... ATI Folds, and was the original platform for GPU Folding, so it wouldn't have gotten off the ground without ATI.

But, the software is not optimized for ATI, as Bluefalcon stated. So the potential in ATI cards for Folding production is not being realized, so we've been told. When the GPU3 cores arrive and OpenMM brings in OpenCL... we'll hopefully see ATI level the playing field or even surpass NVIDIA... or so we've been told. Only time will tell. We hope to see these enhancements for ATI sometime in 2010.

^^^

I sure hope so because I put a major gamble into it and got myself a 5870 ^_^

Currently it steals a whole core away from the I7 client and thus is more efficient (more PPD) if the GPU is not folding :(

If the 5870 can surpass 6250PPD then it will be worth folding with it... currently only gets 4000-5000...

^^^

I sure hope so because I put a major gamble into it and got myself a 5870 ^_^

Currently it steals a whole core away from the I7 client and thus is more efficient (more PPD) if the GPU is not folding :(

If the 5870 can surpass 6250PPD then it will be worth folding with it... currently only gets 4000-5000...

Well Ozzlo if you would like to try it via Linux I'd have to find the guide I used. You can install ATI drivers native. However I didn't get around to folding on it. I'm sure it is doable its just a rather long list of install instructions.

Last time i checked ATI cards couldn't fold in linux, has that changed?

so where can i get an ati supported folding thingamajig.... trying to support the team ya know.. if im gonna be beating on my processor, might as well work the gpu as well :)

so where can i get an ati supported folding thingamajig

Under High Performance Clients here:

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

ozzlo: I (maybe) wrongly assumed based on your stated core usage that you had not set the environment variables for your 5870. Unless things have changed you should be able to get core usage down under 5%.

http://en.fah-addict.net/articles/articles-1-3+gpu-environment-variables.php

If i am mistaken, my apologies. I was hungover when i posted earlier.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm wrong on this but you can install the drivers for ATi under Linux its not easy at all but it is doable. Folding under linux requires wine for either Nvidia or ATI because the binary is Win only. So it should work.

No one has made a wrapper for Cal in Linux yet. I know Shelnutt was working on one but I think, at least at the time, the Cal driver was very incomplete on Linux. Nvidia on the other hand keeps Windows and Linux Cuda drivers in sync and up to date which made it fairly easy to write a wrapper for. So basically the Cuda wrapper can not be used for ATI cards as it uses Nvidia's proprietary C extensions and no Cal wrapper has been created.

ozzlo: I (maybe) wrongly assumed based on your stated core usage that you had not set the environment variables for your 5870. Unless things have changed you should be able to get core usage down under 5%.

http://en.fah-addict.net/articles/articles-1-3+gpu-environment-variables.php

thanks, that took me from using a full core down to taking only half a core. the ppd also went up about 300ppd for this 511 pointer it's got now. Will check in on it throughout the day tomorrow to see how it's doing.

Thanks for pointing that out... i've been playing around with the settings and I went with the lowest CPU usage possible rather than maximizing the ppd of the card.

Now I can run the CPU and the card at the same time and i'll get 1600 more ppd than running just the CPU alone. Thanks alot! this will push me into the top 200 by new years for sure :D

It says my gpu isnt supported or I need a current driver.

Try this:
All you need to do is get the F@h shortcut on your desktop, right click on properties and then force the R700 mode with a "C:\Program files\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu\Fah.exe" with two switches:

�-gpu 0
�-forcegpu ati_r700

Back