• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to computers, would like some advice on computer cases

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

angelbelow

Registered
Hey guys, I have 0 experience with computers but I have decided to go ahead and learn. I am trying to build a gaming computer with either an i5 and i7 processor and perhaps an nvidia GTX (240 or 260).

So far I am deciding between two cases:
1.) Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129058

This case comes highly recommended amongst friends that I would be perfectly happy with this case.

2.) NZXT LEXA S LEXS - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146060

I like the look of the second case better but I am concerned with performance. If the 1st one is vastly superior in terms of performance, efficiency, cooling, then I would go with that one. But if the difference isn't great then I would be happy with the 2nd one since I like the look to it.

All opinions are welcome since I am still in the learning process. Thanks.

Case decisions are highly personal opinion. Antec 900 Two is great choice though cooling is excellent. Have you looked at the Antec 300 and the Lian Li cases?

are you sure you wouldnt want to go for a full size case mate? I thought i'd never want the extra room. But now, after having to work on the computer to remove hard drives etc i find that the extra room would be useful..

I have a 902 and have to say that if you have any plans for more then the basic setup (mobo, psu, 1 graphics card, 1 HDD, 1 Optical, Water Cooling?) to get a full tower. Yes you can definently fit more components in there but it would be cramped IMO.

haf932/922 are both nice cases too with good airflow..gotta like the looks obviously

Hey guys, I have 0 experience with computers but I have decided to go ahead and learn. I am trying to build a gaming computer with either an i5 and i7 processor and perhaps an nvidia GTX (240 or 260).

So far I am deciding between two cases:
1.) Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129058

This case comes highly recommended amongst friends that I would be perfectly happy with this case.

2.) NZXT LEXA S LEXS - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146060

I like the look of the second case better but I am concerned with performance. If the 1st one is vastly superior in terms of performance, efficiency, cooling, then I would go with that one. But if the difference isn't great then I would be happy with the 2nd one since I like the look to it.

All opinions are welcome since I am still in the learning process. Thanks.

Well I have built some 10 ?? comps with 902... and I'm just finished building one "just as we speak" :)

I don't like 902 because it doesn't preserve positive pressure inside. Furthermore it is a "dustcollector" since it is a very open design without good control on the airstream.
But I have seen them modded and with fanfilters - then the story is a different one.
On the plus side - 902 are "pretty" good for cablemanagment (this guy had a old ide dvd so ... :( ) ;

2mcd5ph.jpg

IF you got the money I would have bought a Corsair Obsidian ;)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, as far as getting a larger case, Im not sure I would need it because I don't plan on having any other parts other then the conventional parts (cpu, mobo, graphics card, psu optical etc.) Also, I'm not sure what other mods can be made to need more case space so I probably won't need it.

Well I have built some 10 ?? comps with 902... and I'm just finished building one "just as we speak" :)

I don't like 902 because it doesn't preserve positive pressure inside. Furthermore it is a "dustcollector" since it is a very open design without good control on the airstream.
But I have seen them modded and with fanfilters - then the story is a different one.
On the plus side - 902 are "pretty" good for cablemanagment (this guy had a old ide dvd so ... :( ) ;

2mcd5ph.jpg

I'm so jealous my it thought my cable management was good. Of course you did have a few extra holes. How did you hide the front panel wires?

IF you got the money I would have bought a Corsair Obsidian ;)

Back