• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp install on another motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rommie

I have a system that has had its BIOS died (can't flash it, or anything). I need to be able to boot its XP installation using another system, to export the registry, and to get some other settings (I've already backed up all the "normal" data by just putting the systems' C drive in another pc). Of course, it doesn't look like I can just use the old systems' XP install to boot on another pc - I get a BSOD, even when trying to use safe mode. Is there any way to install xp, using my backup system, "over the top" of the existing install, or something like that, without wiping out all my registry settings?

I am barely awake. Try downloading ubuntu, it is free OS. The great thing about it, it will run from cd without installation. Just boot from it and access and copy regestry setting that you need.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

if you can find a compatible chipset southbridge and northbridge you won't have to reinstall anything. it will just boot.

the bsod you are gettting is probably for inacessable boot device because it doesn't have the proper ide controller drivers installed or sata drivers.
(you can try putting your hd into a compatible motherboard and then install the ide and sata and chipset drivers for your new board then try move hdd to new motherboard)

if your old board was not a sata board then I'd suggest you default to using windows standard ide controllers (uninstall your old ide controllers and use the default xp ones, that should let you boot.)

sata is a different story, (did you have to insert a floppy disc or something to install your harddrives the first time you installed windows)? <--that procedure is usually for sata. if so then I think you'd have to install the new motherboard's sata drivers then try it in the new board (if you uninstall The old ones, I'm not sure if it will work again in the old compatible motherboard)

you can do a repair install with the xp cd but your settings and installed programs will be messy.

edit:also to keep in mind if your version of windows is oem then it shouldn't repair or install on another motherboard because oem means its valid on 1 machine.

Last edited:
I have a system that has had its BIOS died (can't flash it, or anything). I need to be able to boot its XP installation using another system, to export the registry, and to get some other settings (I've already backed up all the "normal" data by just putting the systems' C drive in another pc). Of course, it doesn't look like I can just use the old systems' XP install to boot on another pc - I get a BSOD, even when trying to use safe mode. Is there any way to install xp, using my backup system, "over the top" of the existing install, or something like that, without wiping out all my registry settings?
It is possible.

There are three methods that may work.

1. Using an Emergency Repair Disk (ERD) in Windows Setup. (I have never tested this)
  2. Using Automated System Recovery (ASR) in Windows Setup. (I have never tested this)
  3. Repair Install. ( http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm )

Back