• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Don't get this motherboard usb cord.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mas5acre

I have this motherboard usb cord with only 4 holes on it that read usb+,usb-, gnd and I think gnd again. Could this be a usb 1.0 cord and not usb 2.0? This came with my kazestation 3.5 in multibay panel made my sythe.

Wha??!??

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-13024-usb-1-0-vs-2-0-cables#p16773

USB 1.0, USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 CABLES are virtually identical in every way except possibly quality.

You can use any USB cable with any USB version device and they will work at the speeds of the connected devices. So a USB cable that came with your USB 1.0 device will connect two USB 2.0 devices at USB 2.0 speeds perfectly unless the cable is badly made.

USB 2.0 cables being sold at more expensive prices are all a complete rip off and totally unnecesary.

Both 1.0 and 2.0 have 4 pins. I believe the "5th" is an extra ground. I don't see how it would be restricted to USB 1.0, it is copper wire.

Yeah, the standard USB header pinout is as follows:

+5V o o +5V
D1- o o D2-
D1+ o o D2+
GND o o GND
Key x o Shield GND (optional)

There's nothing at all unusual about a cable that only uses 4 pins, it just uses one of the two ports on the standard header and doesn't bother with the extra ground.

The "9 pins" are two USB ports, look at his diagram again.

Port1......Port2
+5V o o +5V
D1- o o D2-
D1+ o o D2+
GND o o GND
Key x o Shield GND (optional)

Thank you guys. This is my bro's xmas present. My personal i7 machine has a super multibay and all its cords are 9pins. Love my supermultibay. But it rendered my 3.5 bay I bought useless. It used all my ports so I stuck it in my bro's computer as the case front audio jacks are junk and this 3.5 bay has them too.

Back