• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More Memory vs Higher Clocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Triddle

Hello everyone. I'm just here to ask some opinions on what to do about the RAM in my (older) system

I'll start just by putting up my mobo and CPU for reference...
Motherboard: ASUS P5K-E
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 (2.6ghz dual core with 8x multiplier)

I picked up some new RAM relatively cheap recently, 2x 2gig sticks of corsair XMS2, 800MHz (the 5-5-5-18 version) and now I'm considering what to do about my old RAM (2x 1gig corsair XMS2, 800MHz (4-4-4-12 version)

Now the problem I come to is whether to use both sets of RAM together, filling all DIMMs on my motherboard. I've tried this and can get stability with FSB at 420 (stock 333) bringing my CPU clock speed up to around 3.2GHz and memory to 420/840MHz, which considering all DIMMs are full I would be happy with...

However, if I use just the two 2gig sticks I expect I can get a significantly better overclock, I've just removed the two older sticks now and am begining testing here, I expect to be able to get somewhere just shy of 4GHz CPU clock from past experience, we'll see soon enough.

So, what I'm looking for is opinions on whether more RAM or higher clock speeds is going to improve my system more, I use the machine almost exlusively for gaming, right now I'm leaning towards clock speeds, but I'd love to hear your opinions on the matter.

Thanks very much.

:welcome: to O/C Forums :santa2:

Well maybe if you used some very RAM intensive programs the more RAM would be better, but as you say this is almost an exclusive gaming rig then I would definatly go for more CPU speed. I havn't came accross a game that uses more than 4GB anyway. GTA4 comes close on my rig with only around 600MB free out of 4GB, but I do have a lot of other apps running in the background aswell.

Well, first, in order to use more than 4GB you would need a 64bit OS. If you dont have that, then there is really no point in using more than the ~3.2GB available from your 2x2gb sticks.

Also, the timings are different so you would have to raise the timings of your 4-4-4-12 sticks to match the 5-5-5-15 sticks you have.

Just sell the 1x2Gb sticks is what I am getting at. You should be just fine with 4GB.

Hey, thanks for the input. Yeah I was thinking that most games wouldn't use too much but I honestly didn't know exactly how much. If its less than 4 that's perfect for me.

I've got my FSB at 500 (4GHz CPU, 1000MHz RAM) right now running memtest86. I reckon I'll give it a couple of passes then leave Prime95 on overnight to see how it goes. If its stable then I think I'll go round to mum's place and upgrade her computer with 2 new sticks of pre-loved ram ;)

Edit - Oh and I use Windows 7 64 bit, so the extra RAM is at least somewhat useful. And with the timings, when I ordered the new RAM I thought it was the 4-4-4-12 stuff but I was wrong :( Still, it was cheap and an upgrade overall so I'm not bothered.

I thought a single 32bit .exe cannot use more than 2GB anyway... So a game cant use more than 2GB of ram...Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Mmm, I didn't mean to suggest that GTA4 uses around 3.5GB. Right now I have IE open with 2 tabs, Media centre (liveTV), Outlook, MSN and my usual background apps and I'm using 2GB. So suppose GTA4 was using around 1.5GB when I checked. Isn't a 32bit .exe limited to 4GB (in theory)? Same as a 32bit OS?

Hmm. My memest86 froze, no errors reported just locked up entirely, before completing a pass. Anyone seen that before? Little bit worrying to me.

NOt that I recall. I have seen multiple posts from many people stating that. I am having trouble googling a supporting link though...

Yeah a quick google turned up a few results of people experiencing a similar issue, but no resolutions for me.

I've put the FSB at 470 and am running again, 470 I anticipate should fairly easily be stable so if the same thing happens here I'm going to put it to stock settings and see how it fares then... Looks like I'm not getting any sleep tonight.

Hmm. My memest86 froze, no errors reported just locked up entirely, before completing a pass. Anyone seen that before? Little bit worrying to me.
Thats called instability. Test the memory sticks at stock speed and make sure they pass. If they dont, you have a bad stick (or two).

Back