• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It's begun.. psionic98s 1st build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

psionic98

Ok so I'm pretty sure that I've gotten all the parts now.. course I'll find out later I need cables, but thats besides the point. I didn't have a ton of time to put too much together due to it being near midnight when I started tinkering.. here's some pics of the parts and the beginning.. more to come.

Panaflofan.jpg

Panaflo 100+cfm for hsf..sorry camera couldn't zoom in and sharpen the image.. next buy perhaps!

ThorsHammer.jpg

Thor's Hammer

EvgamATXx58mobo.jpg

EVGA x58 mATX mobo

GSkill3x2gbcas9.jpg

G.Skill 3x2gb cas9

EnermaxPSU.jpg

Enermax 720w modular psu

Asus5770.jpg

ASUS 5770 .. when you can't afford the real thing!

Itsbegun.jpg

HAF 922 with mobo and psu in place..

more to come!

Looks good so far, loving the red theme. If you want to take a photo of your fan, try taking it from far away and then crop it on the computer.

Last edited:
Black and red used to be very popular, blue kind of took over for a while. Glad to see red coming back though :)

No pics, but quick update. Mounted hsf (while in case.. stupid move cause of space, but i got it!), memory in, vid card in, one of the hds to use for raid0 in, dvd drive in, some cables are routed good, but not tied yet.. tried to get an initial post.. failure.. so yeah.. time to take it all apart and see what I might have done wrong!

Already tried "bare minimum" setup and that was failing to post too.. i get the debug led of "FF" which is Boot, but never passes that stage.. ideas if you got em are welcome!

Another quickie update.. pics might not be up until after the holidays as I probably can't work on it again until the 26th.. that being said..

I removed everything from the case, ran the "basics" off a cardboard box and I posted... so then I put the mobo back in, reconnected the basics+all ram+dvd+fans and posted.

The only thing I haven't put back on is the HSF.. so i have a question.. on the back of the mobo the CPU lockdown has a big silver rectangle that goes around the back of the chip.. the hsf boltthrough plate looks like it touches this plate. Is that any worry for grounding/shorting?

I also hooked up the case power/led buttons etc except for the front panel usb etc.. so that could be it too.. but pls reply with opinions on above question about backplate.

Also, the CPU power wires run over what I think is the NB heatsink (top left of the mobo).. should I worry about that overheating and causing probs with the wire sleeves? Its so ugly to have that wire drape over the top of the mobo, but its very very tight coming through the top opening behind the mobo tray.

Last edited:
black and green is also ftw... need more black/green support

I was going to do black/green, but since nearly every component I was buying was already red or black i figured why ruin the trend! The hsf looks like its nickel plated, so its darker too.

Does it just slightly touch it or is it pressed directly against it? I wouldn't worry about shorting if its just barely touching.

Also, you should try to re-route the cables to avoid placing them in an excessively hot place.

Good luck with the rest of the build! :)

There is no problem with the backplate and the HSF bracket touching. The backplate bolts directly to the socket latch mechanism on the front of the motherboard, which is already in direct contact with the CPU... so you have nothing to worry about. What you need to look out for is contact with electrical components, but most well designed HSF backplates have already been tested with most/all motherboards for compatibility.

Ok, I lied, I played some more..

Everything setup, semi-wire managed, win7pro x64 loaded and running on one of the 80gb drives.. so far so good.. gotta learn how to turn the fans down though..atm every one seems to be running at 100% which is way to freakin loud.. i know the panaflow is set to run 100% and thats fine on the hsf, but the rest are loud..

Anyways, ran the system a good hour just playing around in windows.. temps (ambient is like -1c or 30f in my basement in the winter atm) system never crept above 20c.. hopefully i can download some apps and get it testing everything..

Question is where to start.. memtest is an obvious, but beyond that what should I be running/checking/doing before working on moving to raid0 on the OS and installing the storage drive? I will OC it as well.. figuring for now ill just up the multi and check ram timings.. only goin for modest 3.8ish area

If you haven't already you should read this tutorial on how to oc. I used it for my first build and its a really helpful guide. Gives you all the programs you should use and what to do with them and whatnot.

Good job getting it working!

the hammer is big.. and the fan i got with it is a 3pin so its always on max.. 100+cfm.. its kinda loud, but very cool hsf so far!

Back