• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie - what does FSB overclocked 328% mean?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcm261

Hi there. I'm not an overclocker - my computer and I just plod along - just hoping for some advice. A few days ago I whacked an Intel E8400 CPU into my HP A6530a computer (it previously had E2200). It seems to work ok - updated the BIOS no problems - only glitch was having to re-use the original fan/heat sink as the one that comes with the E8400 doesn't slot into the motherboard (the MSI m/b has smaller screw holes). Anyway, I just ran Everest and it tells me my CPU FSB is overclocked by 328% (see below). Is this something I should be worried about? Do I need to go into BIOS and slow things down? Many thanks, john

CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 2993.04 MHz (original: 3000 MHz)
CPU Multiplier 7.0x
CPU FSB 427.58 MHz (original: 100 MHz, overclock: 328%)

:welcome:

Your cpu ( E8400) is supposed to run at 333x9 = 3000

Your mobo miss adjusted the speed... Manual those speed into the Bios if your mobo act weird like this.

FSB:333
Ratio:9x

I dont know about your RAM but you may need to manual these too.

Post complete system spec ...

Sounds more like everest screwed up to me.
Download CPUz and see what it says.

Looks like you may need to update your bios, since it currently only has support for a conroe cpu, the good thing is that its running, let alone at 3ghz, :thup:

That's the first thing he did :rolleyes:

Anyway I doubt that kind of mobo can hold that fsb stable without any adjustments. Maybe everest isn't right. Can you post the FSB & multiplier showed within the bios itself?

Thanks for the help guys. I think the motherboard may limit options ... I may switch to Intel E7500 which it definitely can support. With the E8400, CPUz shows it is Bus Speed 333.3 but flipping between Multiplier x6 and x9 so not stable there. There doesn't seem to be a way of changing settings in the BIOS (seems to be locked down OEM).

That is to save power and stuff by lowering the clock speed when the CPU is not doing much.

Do not buy an E7500 if you already have a E8400... thats just pointless!

That's the first thing he did :rolleyes:

Anyway I doubt that kind of mobo can hold that fsb stable without any adjustments. Maybe everest isn't right. Can you post the FSB & multiplier showed within the bios itself?

Your post was extremely helpful too..

"maybe everest is wrong" :rolleyes:

Thank you all

Hi guys - a big thank you for all who helped me with advice and pointers, etc - all seems to be working well - cheers, john

Glad you're up and running and happy John

:welcome: to OCF and stick around! Lots to learn around here :beer:

Back