• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally! It must be Xmas :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmdixon85

After a long time I have now managed to overclock the Q9650 I picked up for a bargain price (Thanks Earthdog). I've had this thing for months now on my budget Asus P5n-D mobo. Would not budge the FSB by even 1mhz! regardless of voltage, power saving settings etc. By total accident I came accross a post using Google where some guy said he had the same setup at 3.6Ghz. So I think, thats a 1600mhz FSB at default multiplier. So I go off and do some research on the CPU Vcore settings. Enter the BIOS, increase Vcore, HT, NB etc. Set the FSB to exactly 1600mhz and i get this "ROMSIP table update in progress" and it's working!!!

So my board wouldn't overclock the Q9650 by 1mhz but it will happily go to 1600fsb! Very strange, and does anyone know what that message means? I've overclocked a few dual cores on this board but thats the first time this msg has popped up.

Untitled-14.png

I will be leaving it at 3.6Ghz on this board, I can't really expect much more from a nForce 750, Can I?

Ok, I've pushed it a little further. I'm now at 3.77Ghz with a Vcore of 1.360 (CPU-Z spikes upto 1.376) Temps on the cores are maxing out at around 58c. Speedfan claims a CPU temp of 70c. Am I safe to go any further? I know I'm at the limit of Intels max Vcore. I'm really suprised my board has took it this far! Now If only I tried the jump to 1600 FSB months ago! Better late than never I suppose.:rolleyes:

Untitled-15.png

Your right, I didn't know what Kijiji is. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

So any advice on if I should push her any further? Or I'm I already pushing the Vcore/temps high? Thanks

I say givverballhair bro :thup:

I cant offer any advice on how to clock it tho, Im not to experienced with newer nv chipsets :(

That's an impressive OC for a quad core CPU on a 750i board :thup:

More vCore and higher temps are not a problem...stay below 90C to be on the safe side (I've run 45nm quads over 100C without killing them, but I don't recommend it). Push it a bit more, and continue to watch the temps like you're doing. You're doing it right so far...

The only thing that concerns me is your readings in RealTemp, and Speedfan. Check and make sure your core temp readings are accurate. to do this, reset the BIOS back to default speeds, and go back into Windows and let it idle for 5 minutes...in power saving mode where the core speed drops, and the voltages gets lowered a bit, your core temps should hover about 3-5 degrees over your room temperature. If they go down below room temp, then add an "offset" to adjust that idle temp to 5 degrees over room temp.

The reason I think it might be off, is because the CPU temp reading in Speedfan...which shows 70C at load is normally 5-10C lower than the avg core temp.

Thanks for the heads up on the temp reading. I thought that the speedfan CPU temp was like the overall temp of the CPU. I mean if each core is at say 60c, then the overall CPU temp from all 4 cores will be slightly higher. I will look into it.

My PC got knocked today into one of my speakers quite hard so I am going to make sure the cooler is mounted properly before I go any higher with the Vcore. One core is running about 5c hotter since the PC got knocked so i think one corner of my cooler may have came loose.

Ok im sticking with 3.77Ghz as I'm having strange problems going any higher. I've had it at 4Ghz but it just locks up not long after the desktop appears. Strange thing is I can boot into safemode and stress the CPU with everrest and its ok. Sticking at this speed for now, may get a Striker II if I can find one at a good price. Don't really want to put much cash into this ageing skt775 system. So Im at 3.77Ghz @ Vcore 1.392 and with a little help from an old Thermaltake fan temps don't reach above 60c. Not to bad for a nForce750i board I suppose. Would have liked 3 fans on the CPU but space is a bit tight:

DSC00078.jpg
DSC00079.jpg
DSC00080.jpg

Back