• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some minor updates that should boost PPD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
I just upgraded my HTPC from a P4 with HT to a 3800+ X2. Also upgraded the video card from a 9800 AIW to a 9600 GT. I don't know what my PPD will go up to but a dual core CPU and CUDA GPU folding sure has to beat the single P4 2.8 that I had.

Go team 32!

The down side is that I had to sacrifice my SLI in my main rig. I'm looking to get a 260 or 5770. I'm very close to buying now as I type.

My main points are from two machines in my sig. The top one and the bottom one.

If you want something cheap to put your HTPC to fold on, take a gander at a GT240 DDR5 card... I was originally gonna pick one of those up for PhysX/folding, but I splurged a bit and got a 260 :D

I did it the other way around. I took a card from my main rig and will upgrade the main rig to something that I can game on for a while. I was gaming with 2 x 9600 GT in SLI. I will put one in the HTPC to also fold and the other 9600 will be my physix.

I just got to figure which card to get. I'm leaning towards the 260 because I can do the physix without goofing about. Also the fact that Nvidia kicks butt over ATI in folding. At least now it does.

I was mulling the same choice when looking at buying a new card... ATIs offerings in my price range were very attractive to say the least. I went with Nvidia (as I have since the old GeForce days) BECAUSE of the current folding power... there is no such thing as future-proofing a purchase in my book (referring to performance with the GPU3 client). Its not here, and we wont know what does what better untill it does, in the mean time, I will still churn out nice number till it is released..

Back