• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Help]First time Overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Belial

I recently purchased a:

Intel Core i5-750 2.66GHz
4GB DDR3
1TB SATA II
NVIDIA GeForce GTS250 1GB
700W PSU

I have never overclocked a computer before and I am looking for some answers or a simple noob guide that I could use if their is one, or even a software I could get that could easily OC it for me.

I am planning to OC my Rig around 4.0Ghz.

I am aware of cooling problems, currently there is a CPU fan, and a basic back fan, both 120mm I believe. My graphics card has twin frozers as well(2 small fans). I am able to add 3 120mm fans if needed, and maybe one day Liquid cooling ( Case has pre-drilled liquid holes.). Would the fans I have currently be enough to OC to 4.0Ghz? And if not how far could I OC to?

If anyone needs more info. please ask. Thanks.

Hey im just as fresh are you are in all of this, and actually have a similar setup.

I can tell you that right now i have seen 4ghz with temps right at 60. But keep in mind that takes dedicated aftermarket CPU cooling. Im no expert but the items i hear the most talk about are the Thermaltake TRUE Copper and the Prolimatech Megahalems.

Its not just about fans either. Your going to need to let these guys now (if possible) the exact case you are running, this will help people understand your airflow and setup.

In addition to this, please explain what Thermal paste you are using, as well as the motherboard you are using for this computer.

Please if i have made a mistake let me know...IM JUST A BABY

check this out, i would try one thing first. change nothing but your clock speed. change it to 200x20. that is a 4ghz overclock. then fire up realtemp, this will give us a guess at what your temps are like. you are going to need to download prime95 as well. run the large fft test (max heat) if your temps in realtemp go over 70-75 go to stock and wait until you have better cooling..

Here you go guys. Click on the link in my signature for i7 overclocking. That should help you out.

For the record so we dont have the blind leading the blind here, for an i5/i7 temps maxing out in the mid 70s or lower is JUST FINE.

Here you go guys. Click on the link in my signature for i7 overclocking. That should help you out.

For the record so we dont have the blind leading the blind here, for an i5/i7 temps maxing out in the mid 70s or lower is JUST FINE.

I aware of this, i was simply giving him a mark of 70-75 because if he is as inexperienced as i am, he will most likely want to say away from higher temps, until he can get a bit better cooling. Remember i did not recommend and voltage tweak, so if on low voltage he is able to post, at 4, i dont want him to THEN raise voltage and exceed 75-80c. that is all , i did not mean to misrepresent myself.

EDIT:
Also your sig mentions i7 overclocking, but dont these two processors overclock different. (maybe its just 1156 vs 1336 and im wrong)

Last edited:
My case is a nzxt gamma.

Is OCing a i7 similar to OCing a i5?

Also I am using a Intel P55 Express Chipset.

Back