• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sata to esata confusion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InfamousHindu

I just order a new dell studio 15 laptop (with the new i7 of course! woohoo!) which has a esata port. I had an m1330 which blew up on me and was wondering if a simple eSATA ----> SATA cable would work fine for connecting the old hdd to my new laptop.

If a simple cable would work, then how how does the HDD get power then?

I just order a new dell studio 15 laptop (with the new i7 of course! woohoo!) which has a esata port. I had an m1330 which blew up on me and was wondering if a simple eSATA ----> SATA cable would work fine for connecting the old hdd to my new laptop.

If a simple cable would work, then how how does the HDD get power then?

You will need an eSATA enclosure. It will have a separate power supply to run the drive.

You will need an eSATA enclosure. It will have a separate power supply to run the drive.

This. I would highly recommend and Antec MX-1, absolutely wonderful enclosure. I like it so much I just ordered a second. I am a bit perturbed the price jumped on them, my first was $30 and now they are almost $50.

This. I would highly recommend and Antec MX-1, absolutely wonderful enclosure. I like it so much I just ordered a second. I am a bit perturbed the price jumped on them, my first was $30 and now they are almost $50.

A little big for a 2.5" drive, imo, and totally unnecessary since it will require bulky power supply.

You can get esata USB 2.5" enclosures that power from USB.

Back