• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing AMD 7750BE 'Kuma'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dooms101

As you can tell from the title, this is a thread regarding the 7750BE Kuma AMD CPU and OC'ing it. So far, using a guide I found here, I've gotten a stable ~3.3ghz OC with 1.275 vCore running idle 52C and 30minutes of Prime95 at 68C. I set the multi to 15.5 and the system bus to 213. I have my ram running 6-6-6-18-2T at around 1085mhz with 2.08 - 2.15 vDimm. I would post a CPU-z shot but I am running stock right now so I can post this. I'll post a pic later tonight. I do have a few questions, since I am not that experienced =P.

Questions: I am getting some odd temp readings from SpeedFan and CoreTemp, and I am having some trouble identifying which read outs are what. I am fairly certain my NB is what is burning hot, but I can't tell which temp is CPU and which is NB. Btw I am running on air with a stock cooler (which makes this OC seem really ridiculous to me... since the Kuma isn't a performer especially on my budget JetWay.)

Some pics:
tempsv.jpg

That's just an example of my temps during OCing earlier.

So... I tried to put a high vCore of 1.35v to see what temp rose which didn't so I could see what temp is the NB and what one is the CPU. I labeled some of the things in SpeedFan already. But I go to full load using Prime95 my 'NorthBridge' temp rockets to around 66C and my 'CPU Die' rises to around 48C. While in BIOS it says the CPU temp is about 48C though...

Note: the temp I labeled 'CPU Die' is read from the K10 temp probe (which should corellate to my K10 Kuma, but this temp is completely different from my BIOS read out. However, I think my MoBo has a K8 probe system or something since it's kinda old.

So if anyone could give me some ideas as to what is what, that'd be great =)

I'll post some more pics later after I am done working out (shouldn't be too long)

Last edited:
Nice OC! :)

I'm surprised it'll let you run that hot and still be stable. Too bad that screen shot wasn't at load - it's much easier to tell what the CPU temp is then. As a strictly wild guess I'd say Temp1 was the CPU - but that's just a guess since I use CoreTemp almost exclusively.

Motherboard temp probes aren't anything fancy and they're not designed for various CPUs so the age of your board, other than wear over time, shouldn't matter. The K10's internal sensor is what CoreTemp reads, so does HWMonitor. I don't know about SpeedFan ...

Speedfan reads everything, core temp in this case is the CPU Die sensor. The only issue is that speedfan misses the sensor offsets by quite some distance sometimes.

That is a very nice OC for one of those CPUs, well done!

Well, Core Temp reads exactly the same as the temp in speed fan labeled 'CPU Die', and my NB is extremely hot to the touch in comparison to my CPU HS. So... I am trying to find a good cooler for both my CPU and NB, here's my MoBo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813153156

And yes lol, I realize this board looks kinda ****ty, but it's great... or maybe I just got lucky with my CPU.

I can't seem to get my CPU past 3.4ghz without a huge increase in voltage =(
3.382ghz is stable with 1.37vCore and 1.23vNB (205 x 16.5), and 3.4ghz is barely stable (since it gets too hot so I don't feel comfortable testing too much). 3.4ghz stable at 1.45vCore and 1.31vNB (200 x 17 or 207 x 16.5).

Anyone know if extra cooling would be worth it? And what kinda coolers would work well?

Btw this is my first OC, so I'm still kinda new =P

Jetway actually makes a pretty solid motherboard. I used to have an HA04. The first version of the BIOS didn't have an NB multiplier, so I built a PC for my sister with it. After the BIOS update to add the CPUNB multiplier function, it overclocks very well.

Anyhow, the Nvidia chipsets do run hot, and do consume quite a bit more power than AMD chipsets. So, it's no surprise that the NB seems hot on that PC. My advice would be to direct some airflow onto the heat sink; it's not worth buying a $25 NB heat sink for.

As for the CPU, you're quickly running up to the Kuma's Phenom I-derived-core's architectural limitations. 3.4GHz is actually pretty respectable; I'm not convinced that buying $50 worth of heat sink for that CPU would make it substantially faster. Maybe another 100-150MHz, but certainly not a whole lot beyond that. If you pick another cooler, you're probably going to find better gains in things like having less audible fan noise or something like that.

Yeah, that's what I am coming to realize, the only reason I wouldn't mind spending ~$60 on a NB and CPU cooler is because I'll be able to swap over to my PhenomII x4 build in a few months. And in the past I usually just modify the NB HS a little and put a blue LED cooler master 40mm chipset fan on it (they're like $8 after shipping.) I do have alot of airflow in my new case, and it still runs pretty hot. I think I am gonna see how low the voltages can go at 3.35ghz stable... that should bring temps down a bit.

Must be the stock cooler and lack of heatpipes that makes it run so hot.

How's your case air flow? Take the side off and direct a room fan into the case for a few minutes then see what the temps are like ...

Yeah, that's what I am coming to realize, the only reason I wouldn't mind spending ~$60 on a NB and CPU cooler is because I'll be able to swap over to my PhenomII x4 build in a few months. And in the past I usually just modify the NB HS a little and put a blue LED cooler master 40mm chipset fan on it (they're like $8 after shipping.) I do have alot of airflow in my new case, and it still runs pretty hot. I think I am gonna see how low the voltages can go at 3.35ghz stable... that should bring temps down a bit.

This is true; you would be able to use a nice HSF for an updated Phenom II later. $29 is all you'd need for the CPU - the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ performs every bit as the Xigmateks and Sunbeams that seem to run closer to $40 these days. On top of that, you could use it on an LGA1156 or LGA1366 board right out of the box if you so chose to. Oddly, a cooler for the northbridge will run $20-$30, almost as much as the CPU heat sink, and there's no way that's going to net you any more of an overclock, either. So that one I'd definitely pass on.

Well what I ended up doing was taking the 70mm x 70mm x 20mm AMD fan off the stock cooler, and positioning it on my NB. I had the case laid down with the side panel off, and I took a good ~38 cfm 80mm fan and put it on the stock HS (which fits surprisingly well...) but I turned it upside down to pull air through the HS. Then I took another 80mm case fan and used it to push cool air into the other side of the HS and another 120mm to exhaust it all. All in all, it looked ugly as hell, but it cooled much better then before. My NB was very very cool at ~1.3v and my CPU was a little more manageable at 1.37v. Here's some pics after 2-3 minutes of Prime95...

temp3.png
temp4w.png

I wish I could have tested longer, but I didn't want to kill anything lol. So I am done OCing until I get a good CPU HS and another one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103155 (I've bought like 6 for different builds, and the fan works really well.)

For anyone wondering... I used the tutorial stickied in this forum by QuietIce to do the OCing. Here's the data I got:

datasheet.png

And my case airflow is great, I got a CoolerMaster R4 120mm intake, 2 80mm intakes, 135mm exhaust on the PSU, another CM R4 120mm exhaust and another 80mm exhuast for the GFX card (which runs 36C full load after 4 hours of gaming at max res and 4xAA 8xAF 1440 x 900 lol go ATI!).

Nice OC you've got going there too! :thup:
Very well-balanced components.

If you've got a fan blowing on the NB and it's still at those temps I'd say remove the sink, reapply the TIM, and re-seat it. I've never seen chipset temps that high! :eek: Somebody had the highest yet (before this) running the stock cooler with 60°C CPU temps and was getting 60°C on the NB as well - but that was all completely stock with no extra fans anywhere, poor airflow, and he was using the on-board graphics to boot. Temps came down to 53°C with some cable management and a rear exhaust fan. (Yes, he didn't have a rear exhaust fan).

AMD chipsets just don't run that hot normally, even OC'ed. I've never added extra NB cooling and the highest NB temp I've had was right at 50°C on an older board (and a good cleaning would probably solve that) ...

looks good:) I could hit 3.5 pretty easy with mine but that was it and way too hot:( I could use 3.4 but it was still hotter than I wanted.

I settled for 3.2-3.3 in the end.

You got a good setup and have done a fine job with it.

Well I am still not completely sure which temps are which. Since my motherboard says the CPU temp is around what I have labeled "NorthBridge" in speedfan. So that would make think that 75C is the CPU, and the 60C is the NB. But, speedfan and coretemp both pick up a reading from a "K10 thermo sensor" and at the same temp. So after some testing, that 60C was in fact the NB, and the 75C was my CPU!!! (don't worry it lived =P). So I am looking at some CPU coolers around $35 on NewEgg and I came across an open box thermaltake spinq for $37! I think I'll pick this baby up, and see if I can push 3.5ghz

That spin Q is purdy but TBH the $19 AF64 is just as good, I have both. The spinq does a good job but I doubt it will hold the temps you want.

Yeah, I am ordering the AC Freezer 7 Pro instead right now, I am not taking the rick of it being too big and it's Open Box so who knows what's wrong with it...

Well I am still not completely sure which temps are which. Since my motherboard says the CPU temp is around what I have labeled "NorthBridge" in speedfan. So that would make think that 75C is the CPU, and the 60C is the NB. But, speedfan and coretemp both pick up a reading from a "K10 thermo sensor" and at the same temp. So after some testing, that 60C was in fact the NB, and the 75C was my CPU!!! (don't worry it lived =P). So I am looking at some CPU coolers around $35 on NewEgg and I came across an open box thermaltake spinq for $37! I think I'll pick this baby up, and see if I can push 3.5ghz
I'm sure out of this Top 10 list (make sure you get the AMD by Temperature list!) you can find one that won't kill the budget. :)

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

Edit:
Just checked the price at Newegg and the Sunbeam Core Contact 120 is still an excellent buy - $25 MIR ...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004

Okay I couldn't help myself, and I got the OpenBox SpinQ lol. Com' on only $36 after shipping! It was a steal, plus NewEgg guarantees it to run anyways... plus if it doesn't, I'll return it and get an AC Freezer 64 =)

Plus the SpinQ's design will expel plenty of air (although warm air...) into some 'dead air' zones on my board.

Well I'll be back on here to post some updates when I get it (probably on monday.)

Back