• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comparing Q9650 (3ghz) vs. E6300 (at 3ghz)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jwwpua

CPU #1: Q9650 running at stock 3ghz
CPU #2: E6300 running at 3ghz

How would these compare in tasks that do not utilize 4 cores? Is the Q9650 going to be faster at 3ghz than the E6300 at 3ghz? What's the difference aside from the 2 additional cores?

What about Q9650 @ 3.0 vs E6300 @ 3.3?

And what can you overclock a Q9650 to with stock cooling?

Thanks!

Well assuming you are talking about the wolfdale e6300 (boy intel did a good job on that, you could have at least added a 50 at the end or something!), at the same speed the q9650 might be a smidgen faster due to the extra cache, but it probably wont be noticeable. With the E6300 at 3.3 and the Q at stock, the E6300 will be a bit faster but again, probably unnoticeable most of the time.

That said, with the e6300, I would think you could at least get to 3.6 on the stock cooler, if not higher. Even if you got a lower end aftermarket cooler (Something like an AC7) then you should be able to get near 4.0ghz if I'm not mistaken.

As for the Q, maybe somewhere around 3.4-3.6 while keeping the temps in check. You might get lucky and get a good chip or something. It's definitely worth investing in a nice cooler though, you'd easily be in the 4ghz range with one.

Been a while since I looked into all these new fangled 45nm chips, need to hang out in this section more often.

Well assuming you are talking about the wolfdale e6300 (boy intel did a good job on that, you could have at least added a 50 at the end or something!), at the same speed the q9650 might be a smidgen faster due to the extra cache, but it probably wont be noticeable. With the E6300 at 3.3 and the Q at stock, the E6300 will be a bit faster but again, probably unnoticeable most of the time.

That said, with the e6300, I would think you could at least get to 3.6 on the stock cooler, if not higher. Even if you got a lower end aftermarket cooler (Something like an AC7) then you should be able to get near 4.0ghz if I'm not mistaken.

As for the Q, maybe somewhere around 3.4-3.6 while keeping the temps in check. You might get lucky and get a good chip or something. It's definitely worth investing in a nice cooler though, you'd easily be in the 4ghz range with one.

Been a while since I looked into all these new fangled 45nm chips, need to hang out in this section more often.

Thanks, just what I wanted to know. I've been running my E6300 @ 3.3ghz on stock cooling since I got it a couple years back. Never had a single crash. I can't remember why I didn't go higher, but it might have been because my board (Asus P5B-E) ram voltage only goes to 2.1V (early revision of the board).

I'm about to look at more benchmarks, but I'm gonna ask this anyways. How do the newer generation CPUs (i7's and whatnot) compare with the Exxx/Qxxx series? I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading my motherboard/cpu/ram when I could just upgrade CPU to stay relevant with current processor speeds.

Thanks, just what I wanted to know. I've been running my E6300 @ 3.3ghz on stock cooling since I got it a couple years back. Never had a single crash. I can't remember why I didn't go higher, but it might have been because my board (Asus P5B-E) ram voltage only goes to 2.1V (early revision of the board).

I'm about to look at more benchmarks, but I'm gonna ask this anyways. How do the newer generation CPUs (i7's and whatnot) compare with the Exxx/Qxxx series? I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading my motherboard/cpu/ram when I could just upgrade CPU to stay relevant with current processor speeds.

The new architecture does a lot better than the old one, it's worth upgrading to an i5 or i7 if you have the cash.

and if you don't have the cash, you can upgrade the cpu anyways and stay up to speed.

Does your current rig do what you need? You said it has never crashed on you. (a good thing)

So, without "having to upgrade" right now, other than having money burn a hole in your pocket, You could always upgrade the a "newer" mobo and push what you have futher.

For cheaper too.

Now, I'm not saying don't upgrade if you feel the need, but cost effectiveness,
what are you going to get out of it?

Upgrade now, sell what you have to recoup some of the $$ you send on the upgrade.

:shrug:

Well judging from his response, he has the e6300 (Conroe) not the Wolfdale based one as Wolfdale E6300 was not out two years ago.

With that said and what wasnt mentioned was the fact it has 4 cores compared to two. It makes multitasking a quicker, and any applications you have (think video encoding, photshop, rendering, etc) that may use four cores, it will be MUCH faster at the same clockspeed or even less b/c of the cores.

The Yorkfield/Wolfdale architecture is clock for clock faster than conroe. So a Q9650 should beat out a e6300 conroe 3Ghz=3Ghz and likely at 3Ghz vs. 3.3Ghz as well.

With stock cooling, you should be able to get to 3.4-3.6Ghz on the quad as well, likely with stock voltages.

Last but not least... Warrior has a great philosphy there for you...

I would grab the Q9650. They are good clockers and faster clock for clock VS a conroe.

As Earthdog said, with a nice Air cooling you con reach 4ghz with the Q9650

I disagree with paying $325 for a dead socket cpu. You can get an i5 cpu plus mother board for the same price. If you live near a microcenter you can even get the i5 750 for $150 and a decent MB will cost about $130. The only thing is though you will need 4 GB DDR3 RAM which will cost $100.

If you are going to stay with LGA775 then just get a Q9450 for much less $. Can the P5B-E get a quad to 4.0?

This is a good point BDA. However he would need DDR3 ram as well.

And actually, I highly doubt his current mobo will be able to use that chip. And if it can, it certainly wont be able to overclock it well. I was wondering when I typed my reply what mobo he had but I somehow missed it, good catch BDA, fellow ohioan!!!

I disagree with paying $325 for a dead socket cpu. You can get an i5 cpu plus mother board for the same price. If you live near a microcenter you can even get the i5 750 for $150 and a decent MB will cost about $130. The only thing is though you will need 4 GB DDR3 RAM which will cost $100.

If you are going to stay with LGA775 then just get a Q9450 for much less $. Can the P5B-E get a quad to 4.0?

I dunno about the P5B-E but my P5Q takes my Q9650 to 4.2 on air :)

My P5K could too but the P5B-E is limited to 1066 FSB and DDR2-800 RAM only. Max voltage for Vdimm is 2.1 so he won't be able to push the RAM very far I'm afraid.

Last edited:
I dunno about the P5B-E but my P5Q takes my Q9650 to 4.2 on air :)
Big.......no no, HUGE difference in chipsets there man. You are talking about a 965 chipset that is what 4 years old, that may/may not have the ability to use the CPU vs the P45 which is arguably the best chipet for Yorkfield quads...

My P5K could too but the P5B-E is limited to 1066 FSB and DDR2-800 RAM only. Max voltage for Vdimm is 2.1 so he won't be able to push the RAM very far I'm afraid.
Someone (OP?) needs to go to teh Asus website and check compatability for him (I dont have the time at the moment).

Ehhh, the CPU support list tab has the information we are looking for.........

Core 2 Quad Q9650(rev.E0,3.00GHz,1333FSB,L2:12MB) ALL 1803
beta support FSB1333 CPU

Im not sure I would use it on that mobo though. Especially if the "beta support" doesnt properly allow it to run on a 1333FSB and downclocks it to 1066.

Thanks for all the replies, I didn't expect this much input!

@WarriorII: Good points I need to consider. It is performing adequately for me right now, but I'm beginning to work with videos so 4 cores will help a lot with that. I also stream videos to our TV through the Xbox 360. It works fine if you play it straight through, but fast forwarding and other controls cause big delays. On the other hand, it's not a necessary upgrade and not something I want to spend a whole lot of $$ on at this point. If I could get a good performance upgrade for a fairly low price, I would like to.

Well judging from his response, he has the e6300 (Conroe) not the Wolfdale based one as Wolfdale E6300 was not out two years ago.

Yep it's the Conroe. Or actually Allendale I believe, since it only has 2MB of L2 cache.

bda1967 said:

It overclocks the dual cores very well, but I don't know about quads. I might actually be able to get my hands on a Q9650 to test. I'll check on that...

maybe get the q6600? i dont know where to find it though. ebay?

I was checking prices and these are the prices I found:

• Q6600 (2.40ghz) - $300
  • Q9450 (2.66ghz) - $325
  • Q9550 (2.83ghz) - $250
  • Q9650 (3.00ghz) - $320

Those don't make much sense to me. Why is the Q9550 so much cheaper than both of the Q9650 and Q9450? It's right in between them in performance, so I must be missing something. I guess the Q6600 is so much because it's old and obsolete compared to recent CPUs.

Back