• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mac Mini alternatives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ClarkAaronWM

Once I graduate from college I would like to build my parents something similar to a mac mini. I'm a big fan of the case and size but I don't like the price point and OS X would probably be redundant. The key for the build is going to be simplicity, I want a super quite, small build that dual boots Chrome OS and Win7. I've seen some of the alternatives like ripple on Google search but I still have some questions:

One of the key points is noise, would you recommend an SSD?
I also want it to have a mid range graphics card, tri core AMD, what kind of quiet cooling solutions are available in that small of a package?(because I might like one for myself as a lanbox)
For the drive I like the trayless kind found in the MM.

I have had two builds in the past and some minor modding experience. This build will also probably happen some time in the more distant future(like 12-18 months from now).

Edit: Just to be clear, I like the look of the Mac Mini case and would like something similar in design or the exact mac mini case.

Last edited:
There are plenty of small form factor cases.

Just stick some quiet fans in there and an SSD and it'll be plenty quiet.

Back