• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can You GPU Fold under Vmware?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TC

Senior Seti Addict
I've searched the forums and can't find a definitive answer. Does cuda work under vmware?

Since the VM does not have direct access to video card, it will not work. Be prepared for a bit of a wait. I only heard about 3d capable VMs recently and it wasn't even from VMWare.

Maybe they will surprise us, who knows?

I don't think it'll work, but why would you want to do it?
Because the only way I can install windows on the server is in a vm, and if I'm not mistaken the cuda drivers are only available for windows right?

No its that majority if not all VMs are only grabbing up 128M of your video so in no way shape or form would it be able to have the needed capability of GPURam amount. Not to mention if it can only grab 128M of Vram then I'm sure the bandwidth is utter crap.

This is just one mans ranting. I'm sure ChasR will tell me I'm wrong. :bday:

or maybe that I should tell you that since you're running a quad MPICH_NO_LOCAL=1 will not work for you.

Sorry ChasR I kid I kid.

Wow... can this thread get anymore Blue? Oh... wait... damn... I'm not helping am I? :D

There, fixed.

Speaking of which, I should probably start folding again one of these days....

We got a contest running right now... We are giving away stuff every week. I say there's no time like the present. :bday:

By the way, Hey Tim how you been man? i never see you around (must be because I've been hanging out in the folding section instead of the seti section) :eek:

Last edited:
I have a question sort of related to this, is there a way to GPU fold under OS X? Is there any VM software (maybe Parallels?) that will fully support an 8800GT?

I have a question sort of related to this, is there a way to GPU fold under OS X? Is there any VM software (maybe Parallels?) that will fully support an 8800GT?
Fusion 3 maybe. I'm running v. 2 on my mac and the video card shows up as an S3 or something weird like that under my xp vm.

Back