• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel [email protected] & HD4870 512mb DDR5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alain3x

Hello, I just bought a HP Pavilion pc with the following specs:

cpu: [email protected]
RAM: 4g DDR2
hard drive: 500g
Motherboard: crapy hp motherboard

I added a 600w power supply So I could install an ATI Hd4870 512mg DDR5. It works well but I am woundering if my cpu (Stock E5200) is limiting the potential of my video card for Gaming. I would like to overclock it but I need a new motherboard for that. Can you awnser my question: Should I overclock my cpu? Is my cpu handicaping my gpu?

Thank you!

Yes, how much it is depends on the resolution you game at.
The lower the res, the worse the CPU bottleneck.

With a single 4870 in that box you could get away with bringing it up around 3-3.2ghz on stock voltage and give that card plenty of room to breathe. Luckily, if you did go out for a new mobo, it wouldn't be very costly.

I think you might be better served on that board with the clock down to 3.5ghz so you can tone the voltage down a bit.

1.54vcore is rather of a lot for a 45nm CPU. I'd try to get it under 1.45 at most, personally.
What're the load temps?

Get under 1,5v for safety and beside that, have U try stability test with p95 or OCCT, If U have then its good but still get below 1,5v to let your processor live longer, if U haven't that is worst coz if your system unstable, it is like a time bomb that can die at anytime on its own

Back