• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My OC'd Q6600 2.4GHz to 3.0GHz. 3.0+ possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ikix

Registered
Hi,

I have been overclocking my Q6600 2.4ghz chip for a few months now and have got it to just udner 3.0ghz (2.99ghz). I was wondering if on air i can get it any higher? My spec is below and i have included CPU-Z stats.

Spec:-

Q6600 cpu 2.4ghz to 3.0ghz
MSI MS-7357 Motherboard
OCZ 2GB DDR2 PC-6400 800mhz RAM

CPU-Z IMAGE SPEC > [img=http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3761/specr.jpg]

*PLEASE NOTE ON THE SCREENSHOT I COPIED AND PASTED SLOT3 TWICE, I HAVE ONLY RAM ON SLOT 1 AND 3.

Cooling wise i have a Akasa Hi-performance, lo-noise heatsink with fans.
Also have 2 more 80mm fans placed around CPU and RAM. And i have a large 2400mm FAN on the side of the case. The system has not been cleaned out for a few months, should i clean and get rid of unwanted dust?

Also i forgot to note that during idle load my temps are averaging 34 C. when on load (3ds max rendering 24/7) i get a temp avg of no higher then 55C

Last edited:
You should be able to hit 3.4 no problem with that cooling, and probably not a whole lot more volts. Beyond that depends on the chip. You might find the limits of the RAM before 3.4 though, so bump it down to 1:1 before you work on the CPU.

You should be able to hit 3.4 no problem with that cooling, and probably not a whole lot more volts. Beyond that depends on the chip. You might find the limits of the RAM before 3.4 though, so bump it down to 1:1 before you work on the CPU.

my mobo is a bit weird. MSI MS 7357. It gives me an option on Ram Ratio all i have available is 1:1.25 or 1:1.50 thats its i cant set it to 1:1 unless if i set RAM to automatic maybe that is similar to 1:1 being default :shrug: ne ideas?

thanks

**if you want i can try n get some pics of the bios

my mobo is a bit weird. MSI MS 7357. It gives me an option on Ram Ratio all i have available is 1:1.25 or 1:1.50 thats its i cant set it to 1:1 unless if i set RAM to automatic maybe that is similar to 1:1 being default :shrug: ne ideas?

thanks

**if you want i can try n get some pics of the bios

Ahh, looking at reviews and the manual, it goes by the default FSB of your processor with that board. 266 FSB means 1:1.25 is the lowest they'll let you pick. That stinks. Anything over 2880mhz/320 FSB is going to be running those DDR2-800 sticks overclocked. 3.4ghz would require the RAM to be capable of 944mhz which is by no means guaranteed.

That board does support a 1:1 ratio with a 333mhz FSB processor, and there's an easy way to give it one: tape over a single pin. It's called a BSEL mod, and the best pictures I can find of which pin to tape over are at http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t58361.html with another one at http://www.livingroomfun.info/blog/20081119/hardware-overclock-of-a-q6600-within-a-dell-xps-420/

If you're comfortable covering one little pad on the bottom of the CPU with electrical tape, that would be the way to go. Just be careful not to screw anything up ;)

Ahh, looking at reviews and the manual, it goes by the default FSB of your processor with that board. 266 FSB means 1:1.25 is the lowest they'll let you pick. That stinks. Anything over 2880mhz/320 FSB is going to be running those DDR2-800 sticks overclocked. 3.4ghz would require the RAM to be capable of 944mhz which is by no means guaranteed.

That board does support a 1:1 ratio with a 333mhz FSB processor, and there's an easy way to give it one: tape over a single pin. It's called a BSEL mod, and the best pictures I can find of which pin to tape over are at http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t58361.html with another one at http://www.livingroomfun.info/blog/20081119/hardware-overclock-of-a-q6600-within-a-dell-xps-420/

If you're comfortable covering one little pad on the bottom of the CPU with electrical tape, that would be the way to go. Just be careful not to screw anything up ;)

oooh lol so all i have to do is cover one little pad on the bottom of the cpu...right...need to get me some electrical tape tomorrow and some razor blades as that square cutout looks tiny oh and a magnify glass lol.

ok so once i do this would i be automatically set to 3ghz by default. allowing me then too overclock upwards from 3ghz??

oooh lol so all i have to do is cover one little pad on the bottom of the cpu...right...need to get me some electrical tape tomorrow and some razor blades as that square cutout looks tiny oh and a magnify glass lol.

ok so once i do this would i be automatically set to 3ghz by default. allowing me then too overclock upwards from 3ghz??

Right. The motherboard would see it as a 333x9 processor and you could take it from there.

Again, don't do this unless you are comfortable with it - I'd hate to have you break a pin or something and come looking for me :beer:

Right. The motherboard would see it as a 333x9 processor and you could take it from there.

Again, don't do this unless you are comfortable with it - I'd hate to have you break a pin or something and come looking for me :beer:

so 333x9 processor at the default RAM mhz? currently im way over 800mhz. What will be the RAM mhz be once im @ default 333x9?

thanks again but i think i'll give it a bash not literally. Hopefully all goes well. Any tips you can give or things i must not do?

such as make sure the tape is exactly over the right pin.
???

**also on another thread i posted here - what do you think of a 4gb kit OCZ gold edition for £40?

so 333x9 processor at the default RAM mhz? currently im way over 800mhz. What will be the RAM mhz be once im @ default 333x9?

thanks again but i think i'll give it a bash not literally. Hopefully all goes well. Any tips you can give or things i must not do?

such as make sure the tape is exactly over the right pin.
???

**also on another thread i posted here - what do you think of a 4gb kit OCZ gold edition for £40?

The RAM runs at double the FSB when it's at 1:1, so you'll be at 667mhz. That gives you 66mhz headroom on the FSB before you even hit the RAM's rated speed.

Just make sure the pad is fully covered but don't cover any other ones and it'll be fine.

For the 4gb upgrade, well, depends how long you plan to keep the computer, and what you do with it. If you're running XP and don't see any paging, don't bother. On the other hand, if you can get £20 selling your current set, and are running Vista or W7, yeah, I'd go for it.

The RAM runs at double the FSB when it's at 1:1, so you'll be at 667mhz. That gives you 66mhz headroom on the FSB before you even hit the RAM's rated speed.

Just make sure the pad is fully covered but don't cover any other ones and it'll be fine.

For the 4gb upgrade, well, depends how long you plan to keep the computer, and what you do with it. If you're running XP and don't see any paging, don't bother. On the other hand, if you can get £20 selling your current set, and are running Vista or W7, yeah, I'd go for it.

Cheers for that, Thinkin of keeping 6GB in the machine (running windows 7) as i run alot of ram intensive programs and all Ram sticks are the same brand and model i think.

For the electric tape i need is it a black pvc sticky tape? i think i have some at home. just like this...

n94al.jpg

A strong flame retardant PVC tape suitable for general electrical insulation work, which is certified to BS3924. Its low cost makes this tape ideal for tagging and colour coding as well as insulating cables. The tapes are 19mm x 20m and are available in 3 different colours:

can't thank you guys enough.. Help has been first class :salute:

Hi just been reading up a bit more on this MOD and was wondering if this will work on my motherboard as it says its mainly for DELL type machines? Shoulde the theory be the same?

Hi just been reading up a bit more on this MOD and was wondering if this will work on my motherboard as it says its mainly for DELL type machines? Shoulde the theory be the same?

People usually do it for Dell and such because there are no BIOS options for OCing. In your case, it's just so you can select a memory divider which isn't available with a 266 fsb chip. Same theory though, yeah.

People usually do it for Dell and such because there are no BIOS options for OCing. In your case, it's just so you can select a memory divider which isn't available with a 266 fsb chip. Same theory though, yeah.

Hi i had a try at it no luck though. Attempted it 8 times still now luck. Might be the tape im using PVC INsulation tape.. I think the pin was poking through but i still double taped and still now luck. Sometimes i just got a blank screen :|

maybe i should just get a new motherboard.

What version of Q6600 do you have? B3 or GO. I had my B3 version above 3.4 on air a few times but the Vcore was over 1.4 volts. It wasn't easy to do and I didn't like pumping that much juice into it. The GO version is a better overclocker. Now this Q9550 I have now is a sweet OCer.

What version of Q6600 do you have? B3 or GO. I had my B3 version above 3.4 on air a few times but the Vcore was over 1.4 volts. It wasn't easy to do and I didn't like pumping that much juice into it. The GO version is a better overclocker. Now this Q9550 I have now is a sweet OCer.

Mines is the G0 according to CPU Z

Back