• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Double Layer REwritable DVD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amnios

anyone out there using this format instead of single layer or non rewritable media in general?

I'm not quickly finding what I need from google.

Do I need a special DVD drive? Also... who the heck sells these discs? None of the major retailers carry them.

Well they are basically useless since you can't use them for movies and removable storage (external hard drives, usb drives) are much cheaper.

Storing data on DVDs is generally a bad idea, I've had an awful lot of problems with it.

I agree with Kona. DVDs tend to get warped, and then you have really annoying IO errors when you're trying to get your data off of the disk that you lost, or that the dog chewed up, or that you accidentally dropped and it shattered into a million pieces (don't laugh, it happened to me)

Just get a 16 gig flash drive, or an external hard drive... they're both not very much anymore.

yep don't forget that flash writes wear out the media as well.

no digital data storage known to man lasts forever at the moment.(provided physical damage is ruled out)

unless you know what you are doing with dvd's (pie pif scans jitter, write strategies) then i would not even suggest them for anything. (dvd's can go bad in a week) I've gotten mailed dvds from wedding videos not work the second I receive them.

Last edited:
Back