• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geforce 9650M GT overclock question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stressy

Hi all,

I own an Asus M70Vn laptop,it's equiped with a Geforce 9650M GT graphic card.
The card uses 1 GB of system memory as video-ram.
I was overclocking the card to see what I can gain,I'm quite familiar with OC'ing but there's one thing I don't understand.
It's possible to OC the GPU,pixelshaders and memory.
But the memory is shared main memory,what i don't understand is how it's possible to OC only the portion of memory the GPU uses without affecting the rest of the system memory?
Can someone please explain that to me.

Greetz

Every GPU AFAIK will use the PC's RAM when playing games, but overclocking the RAM on the GPU will not affect the system's RAM in any way.

I'm not sure, i was merely assuming this.
Since bios says there's 4 GB of system memory and windows is reporting 3 GB i made the assumption that 1 GB is sacrified for video memory.
And since it runs at the same clock speed as the main ram.
Is there any way to check?

The 9650 should have its own dedicated ram separate from your laptops main memory. I'm guessing you are using a 32 bit version of windows since 3 gigs is the most it can recognize. If you want to utilize all of what you paid for I'd suggest looking into 64 bit, you'll thank me afterward :].

Correct,SeraphNox,i am using a 32 bit version.
I've just applied a kernel patch to fully enable the PAE,now Windows is reporting the full 4 GB.
Thanks for pointing out a problem to me that i didn't even know i had and for providing me an answer to my other question.

Greetz

Back