• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need FTP Help With Home Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

setotitan

i read Lifehacker article some time ago: lifehacker.com/130806/how-to-set-up-a-home-ftp-server

the premise was setting up a domain through DynDns and using a software program called Serv-U to essentially turn your home PC into an FTP server. i had this set up on my old system and it worked flawlessly using the same modem and router i have now. however when i went to hook it up this time around i seem to have hit a brick wall.

i'm running XP Pro, i've got a dynamic IP, and i've got a Linksys WRT54GS router. port 21 and ports 50000-50004 are forwarded properly. all the permissions are set, i checked DynDns and my current IP is all matched up. when i enter the FTP site in my browser, it prompts me for my user name and PW, they are accepted, but as soon as i log in i'm automatically logged right back out. here's what i see in the Serv-U activity log:

Code:
[5] Sat 02Jan10 20:03:56 - (000002) Connected to 173.1**.2*.1** (Local address 192.1**.1*.1**)
[5] Sat 02Jan10 20:04:02 - (000002) User T******** logged in
[5] Sat 02Jan10 20:04:03 - (000002) Closing connection for user T******** (00:00:07 connected)
however in my browser i don't even see the file directory open. it says "Beginning FTP transaction.." hangs then goes to a white error page saying "The connection was reset - The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading." I swear I remember having this problem before I just don't know what i did to fix it. i had a buddy of mine try from his house and he got the same error. so i took out the router out and hooked it up directly and it worked!

it must be a router issue.

Serv-U has an option for it to auto configure your router settings via UPnP. so i tried that option and got this back in the Serv-U session log:
Code:
UPnP: Error mapping port 21 to IP 192.1**.1*.188 (HTTP: 500 - UPnP: 718 - Desc: ConflictInMappingEntry)
that would lead me to believe there's something else that's trying to use port 21 which may explain why i get logged all the way in and the booted right off. but then why would it work when i took the router out :confused: so i ran netstat to see if anything was using my FTP port 21 and nothing was! i ran it three times just to be sure.

as you can tell i've been working on this for several days, and have done a lot of tweaking and researching, i just can't make it work. and i know it's something SUPER simple, when the problem's this big it always is. FTP is just not my strong suite so i'm hoping to appeal to the masses for help. any input would be welcomed.

Last edited:
Aye, these types of problems are difficult to solve without a hands-on diagnosis, but I can guess/suggest a few things:

-Don't use a browser to log in, try using an FTP client like Filezilla or CuteFTP (or one of the other millions of FTP clients, they multiply like cockroaches).
-Check your active/passive mode settings. You can connect on 21 but the client might be trying to open 22 and on for other things.
-Run a port other than 21 for security, if nothing else.
-Remove your manually forwarded port and THEN enable uPNP.
-Give your computer a static IP. This isn't the problem but it will save you headaches later.

Reset the router to factory settings and try again. That router is not known for stability...

Also static IP will simplify your troubleshooting. A lot.

On the other hand, you may want to look into SSH and SFTP. FTP sends/receives everything in plain text. Just my 2 cents.

Back