• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Screen or new Card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechJunky

I am currently running the setup in my sig with a Viewsonic VX2245wm.

The max resolution is 1680x1050. This seems fairly lousy compared to todays standards.

My question is, if I get a better monitor will my vid card be able to play it decently at a higher resolution?

It seems I am already bottlenecked at 1680x1050 in Modern WarFare2.

I have about $400 to spend.

Im getting deja vu with this thread....

anyway, you are in a catch 22. WHen you upgrade to 1920x1080/1200 your 8800gt will cry with a lot of newer games. YOu will undoubtedly have to lower some goodies to play. Even with that said, get the monitor. Then sell your 8800gt and get a $250 GPU with the leftovers.

Has THIS ISSUE been resolved or considered since this is more or less the same thread?

1680x1050 is probably one of the more common resolutions used today. I would suggest upping the video card if you do a lot of gaming. Otherwise.... you can't beat a new monitor.... especially if you run it in a dual monitor setup.

Thanks for the replies.

The only gaming I do is WoW once in a blue moon and MW2 maybe 2 times a week.

I haven't decided where to spend my $400 yet.

Also my pops has a spare 500w Roswill PSU laying around thats brand new in the wrapping..

1680x1050 is a fine resolution. You'd be happier with a new video card.

The issue in the other thread was a 17" crt, a new monitor was a no-brainer for that guy.

I feel this one could go either way, but a new video card would be better (should you have the power to support it... that rosewill psu is crap)

Ok, thanks for the info. I guess Corsair TX650 and 4890 here I come. I really want a new mobo for my box that has an ICH-R chipset on it for cheap so I can OC my proc as well. I have a G0 version and its just waiting for its potential to be unlocked.

Back