• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA IS GOD DUAL SOCKET

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

visbits

1bd3382d0500177ac6b11e6f871b2369.jpg

drool.big.gif

Let me be the first to say: holy crap.
That's a lot of power for one board, throw on a couple i7's and a bunch of GPUs and you've got a folding monster. Or simply a board that can do some fast freakin' autoCAD renders.
Any specs or links behind the board itself?

Remember all my bickering about PCI-E ribon cables? Yeah, get ready to buy some of those.

Also, I'd almost bet money that icebob is the first person in the forums to get one of these.

Is that a real board, or just some clever photochop?
I'm with you on this one, it doesn't really look legit. Either way, if that board is decently priced and doesn't require special processors or RAM, I'll jump on it. I've always wanted 16 cores (or maybe 24 when the 6 cores come out!).

Hmm, if that was under $400, could get these. Pair it up with a few gbs (32+) of RAM and it would fly.

Bah, worse deal as the thread goes on.

I'd rather have multiple 1366 systems than just one big one. You'd have more processing power.

Is that the Extended ATX form factor? Is the Extended ATX form factor becoming more common?

Yes it is E-ATX, I don't see E-ATX becomming more common for the average-high end user. Maybe for the absolute hardcore user with $$$$ to burn.

Certainly are folders dream. Would sell my soul for one :rolleyes:

I'll be the first to say:
1) Underwhelming performance.

Dual sockets have never yielded amazing performance as far as synthetic applications go.

Only server operating systems can support and make use of two processors.

Using non-ECC with server boards is not recommended, and I am almost certain this motherboard uses a server reference specification.

Most multi-socket boards are for rendering crunching. It's rare we even see a quad-core taking full advantage of multiple threads, why push the bar with 8 cores?

I guess there's just no point as far as I'm concerned. For the cost of that board, I can buy two very nice X58 boards. The two processors would be much better split into two set ups.

<OFF TOPIC> Why not use non-ECC memory? Should save you a few dollars.</OFF TOPIC>

I had noticed that the board would take non-ECC some time back, I just haven't edited the wish list.

I'll be the first to say:
1) Underwhelming performance.

Dual sockets have never yielded amazing performance as far as synthetic applications go.

Only server operating systems can support and make use of two processors.

Using non-ECC with server boards is not recommended, and I am almost certain this motherboard uses a server reference specification.

Most multi-socket boards are for rendering crunching. It's rare we even see a quad-core taking full advantage of multiple threads, why push the bar with 8 cores?

I guess there's just no point as far as I'm concerned. For the cost of that board, I can buy two very nice X58 boards. The two processors would be much better split into two set ups.

Essenar,

You are right on all counts, but as avid Folding@home team members, we are always looking for the most power under the hood. ;)

I had noticed that the board would take non-ECC some time back, I just haven't edited the wish list.

Essenar,

You are right on all counts, but as avid Folding@home team members, we are always looking for the most power under the hood. ;)

I'm sure someone will cram 7 GTX 295s in there to try and break 100k PPD from a single box. I would think you could try those extra big WUs... god I forgot the name, those ones that take two days to complete on a i7 975? :shrug:

Been out of the fold for a while.

Back