• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st build questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fizicks

So I've been thinking about starting my first build. I'm sure Intel would be the faster/better preforming way to go but this build is in my budget. That's if, all the hardware I'm looking at getting is compatible or not. What are you guys' opinions on the parts I've chosen? I'd like any and all recommendations I can get as long as the price difference for better performance isn't to expensive.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black
ASUS M4A79 Deluxe Motherboard - AMD 790FX
Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 7200rpm
Diamond Radeon HD 5750 Video Card
Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X 4096MB PC8500
Plextor PX-B320SA Blu Ray Player
Samsung 2333HD 23" Widescreen Full HD LCD Monitor
Cooler Master HAF 932 AMD Special Edition ATX
Ultra X4 750-Watt Modular Power Supply

You know you're getting the AMD Spec. edition of the HAF, right? With the red front and the dragon airbrushed on the window? Just want to make sure you're not surprised if you're expecting the regular HAF.

Also, IMO i would upgrade to the ATI 5770 for your graphics card. It's about $170 right now on Newegg, I dunno how much the 5750 is but the 5770 can certainly outperform it for a reasonable price. Otherwise, everything you've suggested looks great. Make sure and post pics once you've finished your build! :)

You are correct on the case. I'm sure the case is extremely large for what I have planned for it currently but it definitely leaves room to build on. Plus it looks cool and that's what matters. Haha. The 5750 gfx card is 151.99 on tigerdirect and the 5770 is 176.99. I'll swing the extra $25 if the performance is noticeably better. Have to wait for my taxes to come back, but hopefully within the next 2 weeks, I can start ordering the parts. :) And I'll definitely post the pics once I get it built. Thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated it:salute:

+1 for me on the card mate, i just ordered myself a sapphire HD 5770 and for the money it does the best job.. Also, isnt the 965 the same as the 955 with a bumped up mulitiplier? might be a way to save a bit of money by going for the 955be and o/c'ing yourself.

Are you planning to upgrade the cpu cooler?
Cheers mate.

+1 for me on the card mate, i just ordered myself a sapphire HD 5770 and for the money it does the best job.. Also, isnt the 965 the same as the 955 with a bumped up mulitiplier? might be a way to save a bit of money by going for the 955be and o/c'ing yourself.

Are you planning to upgrade the cpu cooler?
Cheers mate.
TBH I'm a total n00b to all of this. I was planning on OC'ing the 965 but if I can get better results out of the 955 then by all means I'll go that route. I can live with spending a few extra dollars if the 965 is better for it though. I would upgrade the CPU cooler before I oc'ed it, unless you think I should anyways right from the get go.

I suggest getting the new version of the 955 instead of that 965. Uses lower voltage and overclocks way better.
This one?

Back