• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dream Rig Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WayOut

Like the title says, I am planning to sell my current computer to build a spectacular rig that is as future-proof as possible while keeping within a reasonable limit. Assuming I have $800 after selling my current computer, and plan to earn the same amount, bringing my budget up to $1600, I've constructed an outline for my (hopefully) awesome rig that keeps within budget. Does anybody have any suggestions for what to change before I set this in stone?
I plan to use my computer for schoolwork, occasionally watching movies, and moderate-heavy gaming. I'd like to keep it future-proof for the next 3 years or so if possible, and I can upgrade the CPU and go crossfire with the 5870(s) as need be. I'm thinking with this straight setup, how long can I go before needing to upgrade?

Corsair Obsidian 800D Case $280

WD Caviar Black 1TB HD $100

ASUS Radeon 5870 GPU $405

Crucial Tracer 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM $125

eVGA x58 i7 Mobo $240

Intel i7 920 (I can and will overclock) $289

Corsair H50 CPU Cooler $78

Sony RW Optical Drive $30

4x Xigmatek Orange/White LED Fans $36

The total of my rig is just under $1600. Is there anything I should change? I've been with AMD for my past four builds (one for me, three for friends/family) but I think it's time I try an Intel since everyone likes them so much. Anyway, thanks to everyone who helps! :D

I would go with a SSD for your OS. I don't know much about these, so hopefully someone else can give you a suggestion as to which are best.

Also, I would ditch the H50 and either build a custom water cooling loop or go with a quality HSF like the megahalems.

What PSU are you using?

Otherwise it looks good.

Ah, right. I was looking at an SSD, but scrapped that when I changed my CPU and mobo from AMD to Intel. If it (my hard drive) ends up bottlenecking my system then I'll try an SSD.

I've always wanted to get a H50, I dunno. I'll end up watercooling further down the line if need be.

I already ordered a 1000W Rosewill modular PSU, so no worries there hopefully.

Thanks for the suggestions though, I'll take a look at the Megahalems.

6gb ram? go a 3x2 kit maybe will be better for 'future proofing'?
If i could build my computer again i'd go wtih it i rekon its worth it.
Cheers mate.

Get a P55 based board and that will allow for an SSD. Intel's 80gb SSD is the best bang for the buck IMO, and it's honestly one of the best investments for your computer.

Also, 280 bucks on a case? Seriously, if your giving money away I'll take some while you're at it.
There are PLENTY of good cases well under 100 dollars.
Use the remaining cash on a PSU which I didn't see.

Also, 280 bucks on a case? Seriously, if your giving money away I'll take some while you're at it.
There are PLENTY of good cases well under 100 dollars.
Use the remaining cash on a PSU which I didn't see.

To a lot of people, appearance is a very important aspect of building a computer. You often don't see the components, but you have to look at the case every day. In my opinion, it is worth it to spend that kind of money on a case if you really like it and will be happy with it.

I suppose I'm a little biased being a TJ-07 owner myself.

Yeah, I'm very, very done with my current case. I figure if I splurge on a case I know will last me for the next five years, then I've made a good investment no matter what the price.

And I've already got a PSU, a 1000 watt Rosewill modular that works very well in my current case (just set it up a few hours ago when it came in) and would work even better with all the cable management options available with the Corsair case I was looking at.

About Microcenter, I'm in Seattle, so the nearest one is two states away. I'd save more money buying it off newegg than driving down there to save sixty bucks..

Also, with the SSD's, I do download a lot of stuff. In the time since I built this computer in August, I've gone through about 750GB of space. I know an SSD would be good as a boot drive and I'm considering that, but I don't think it's worth spending $300 on an 80GB drive that I will load up with junk within a month.

Thanks for the replies, though, everyone! I'll look into getting another stick of RAM, and is the P55 the only SSD-compatible motherboard type?

SSD is ment to be your boot drive, you aren't ment to put any of your data on it only your os and apps.

SSDs are compatible with all motherboards that have a sata slot.

SSD is ment to be your boot drive, you aren't ment to put any of your data on it only your os and apps.

SSDs are compatible with all motherboards that have a sata slot.

^I'll consider it. I think, really, I'm absolutely 100% set on that case, though. Especially for watercooling later on down the line. I can probably actually just keep my current 640GB hard drive (half-full), replace the 1TB drive with a SDD for a little more money, and roll with that.

PS; how much space does Win7 Professional take up? I'm thinking about getting a 30GB SSD unless it takes up more than that.

A 30GB SSD like the OCZ Vertex or Vertex Turbo will be plenty for an OS and your most used apps/games.

Rosewill is a horrible PSU brand, I can't believe nobody has pointed that out. I would seriously get a good PSU before you start on budgeting other components. I know you wouldn't want your PSU to "blow up" and take all of your precious new components with it to the grave...

Plus, 1000W seems like overkill to me, even if you upgrade to Xfire HD5870s.

EDIT: I just noticed you already have the Rosewill...maybe if you don't get close to using 1000W the PSU will be okay...I'm just scared for you...

Last edited:
It (the Rosewill PSU) was $99 on Newegg last week, I figured I couldn't pass it up. So far, it's been very dependable. The wires are all a good length for me to manage my cables somewhat (on my old PSU they were strewn all over the case, now you can only see 4 or 5 cables out as the new wires are thin enough to rout through the back) and I'm no longer freezing/shutting down while gaming for extended periods of time. I think at the price point it was a great purchase, like a good case, if you get a big, quality PSU you won't need to upgrade for a looong time.

Also, I took out the WD hard drive and added in an Intel 40GB SSD instead. If anything, I can hold my antivirus or something with the extra space.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167025

Last edited:
I hope the PSU does you well, but Rosewill PSUs have been known to have higher failure rates than others.

I highly suggest the 30GB OCZ Vertex over that Intel X25-V. The Vertex has ~35% faster reads and ~50% faster writes, and it's only $30 more at $160 plus there's a MIR for $20.

Awesome.
Is the extra speed very noticeable for the price point? I probably won't be ordering for a few weeks or so, so the MIR will probably be done then. Assuming they both stay the same price, is it worth losing 10GB of space and $30 more for that extra speed?

Back