• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

killer led lighting new project!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ekko

i found this brouseing around youtube for led light sizes..
i wasnt sure if 10mm leds were too much for the inside lights of a pc.?

i stumbled upon a idea LOL
maybe ill build a smaller version of this for inside my case...
since i got all acrylic it will be killer looking..
suggustions..?

The size doesn't define the brightness of an LED. Also do you mean you plan to put a mini diskball inside your computer? Or something static? Will be interesting to see where this goes though =P

it will prob be a tiny slow rotating ball with about 20 leds on it..
im trying to find a good deal on 10mm leds right now..and i need to do the math on 20 10mm leds, so that way i know how many resistors to line..
i might do something static because the airflow in my case is high and that will make it spin on its own..

The current draw from each LED is VERY low. <100mA for each. If you just put each LED in parallel with each other you won't need multi resistors in each series. As for the rotation, I've never been sure quite how to have something rotating and still lighting up without all the wires becoming entangled. If the object on top is static and doesn't have wires going through it (Say a fan) I'm fine with it =P

Care to explain how you will achieve the whole rotation thing? I really don't know :(

in the side of the ball we drill a hole that connects to the houseing that has the wires that go into the holes..that houseing holds the ball in place..as u can see from the video there ball spins full..my ball never fully rotates..
its has some stupid motor i can take apart anyway..
it never fully spins all the way around it spins half a rotation one way then back..

ill just buy or find one of them balls and make it smaller with the current inner workings maybe.. i dont know im sure ill figure out something...right now im working on 2 other mods..

its like im at a rave
pounding my fist jumping up and down
drugs, rock and roll, bad axx, make it sole, late night, ba ba booty calls, shiny disco balls !! lol

lol ill have to do this another time ..im working on some other more practical mods at the moment :{)

If you were interested in making the ball rotate a full 360 its actually rather simple. Sorry for such a s***** sketch. The center rod extending from the motor can be charged negatively simply prop a wire or lightly wrap the negatively charged wire around it. For the positive charge youre going to have to use something that is a good conductor some type of metal obviously they also make conductive paint. Apply your choice completely around the bottom of the ball and using a wire then prop a positively charge wire end to where it will be constantly touching this material without interference making sure there are no shorts in the system then wire the led's in the ball correspondingly and let er rip. this is really rough so if youre confused my bad

Attachments

• lighted rotating ball.jpg
    lighted rotating ball.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 190
The current draw from each LED is VERY low. <100mA for each. If you just put each LED in parallel with each other you won't need multi resistors in each series.

For larger(or brighter?) LEDs, currents can be >100mA. On hand, I have some 8mm StrawHat LEDs (they have a very wide viewing angle, 140&deg for me) and they have a forward voltage of 3-3.6V, and a current of 150mA.

But still, current draw really doesn't make a difference. If I were to wire 20 of these up, I'd considering making 5 parallel circuits of 4 LEDs in series, and hooking it up to a 12V line. The load would be about 0.75A, which isn't exactly a whole lot. However, 20 of these LEDs would be frightening bright.

EDIT: Oh gosh, this thread was dead for the last two months...

Back