• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan holes. Not quite as big as the fan blowing throughit. Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killem2

I just checked with my father in law last night to see what hole saws he has. (the drill attachments).

I am going to be putting in some 140mm fans and one 200 mm fan. However he only has:

6" (152mm)

5 1/2 " (139.7mm)

5" (127mm)

4 1/2" (114mm)

I think I already know the answer for the 200 mm. (Cut it with a jig saw or something similar that can just cut like a 190mm circle.

But for the 140mm fans 139.7 seems to be REALLY cutting it close, but 127 seem almost wasteful for a 140mm port.

Should I just manually cut both out?

What I use to measure for a fan hole is the wire grill that fits the size fan I am installing and use the outer wire ring as the sizer. But then I don't use a hole saw either, but mark them out in pencil with the fan grill and cut them out with a dremel.

What I use to measure for a fan hole is the wire grill that fits the size fan I am installing and use the outer wire ring as the sizer. But then I don't use a hole saw either, but mark them out in pencil with the fan grill and cut them out with a dremel.

A dremel? Maybe I'm out of it in this type of stuff but a dremel tool seems well.. rather small to do this job. Are there different variants? I'm trying to picture what attachment allows you to do that.

cutting wheel, instead of a jigsaw, its hard to get it right, but there are some shortcuts to making a nice round dremel hole..

1: use a felt tip marker to draw the hole around something round of the right size I usually take a roll of duck-tape. (I have several rolls of various amounts taken off, one will always be right ;)) you could also cut a non-round cardboard cutout that matches the air outlet "not-quite-square" of a fan. could look better than a circle.
2: drill eight or ten or whatever holes just inside the circle.
3: cut an octagon or a 10-side-a-gon
4: carefully cut away small bits of the remaining bits inside the circle, and when you're on the line, use a metal file to do the rest. :)
good luck!
dremel.png

Last edited:
cutting wheel, instead of a jigsaw, its hard to get it right, but there are some shortcuts to making a nice round dremel hole..

1: use a felt tip marker to draw the hole around something round of the right size I usually take a roll of duck-tape. (I have several rolls of various amounts taken off, one will always be right ;)) you could also cut a non-round cardboard cutout that matches the air outlet "not-quite-square" of a fan. could look better than a circle.
2: drill eight or ten or whatever holes just inside the circle.
3: cut an octagon or a 10-side-a-gon
4: carefully cut away small bits of the remaining bits inside the circle, and when you're on the line, use a metal file to do the rest. :)
good luck!
dremel.png

Good post, very informative :thup:

...10-side-a-gon

decagon :D

heh, thanks (twice)

this is how I cut my windows and (simple) fanholes :) so nyah, here it is, my secret ;) you only need the dremel and a steady hand if you don't mind the rough edges.. and a metal file and patience if you want a really nice hole for a window or a show-mod.. (you can "file" and grind with the dremel to make it look quite good, but if you lose grip, its easy to cut too far or make a big scratch.. ;))

Last edited:
A dremel? Maybe I'm out of it in this type of stuff but a dremel tool seems well.. rather small to do this job. Are there different variants? I'm trying to picture what attachment allows you to do that.

A dremel can be time consuming but definitely not to small, I've made all my case modifications with a dremel (don't have a jig saw) including many fan holes and crappy case grill removals to 12" x 12" window holes. It takes a pretty steady hand and patience to get it to look nice though.

and for the holes, I've always just mounted the fan where I want it and trace the inner diameter of the fan casing (filling in the gaps from the braces by hand.)

heh, thanks (twice)

this is how I cut my windows and (simple) fanholes :) so nyah, here it is, my secret ;) you only need the dremel and a steady hand if you don't mind the rough edges.. and a metal file and patience if you want a really nice hole for a window or a show-mod.. (you can "file" and grind with the dremel to make it look quite good, but if you lose grip, its easy to cut too far or make a big scratch.. ;))

NP...lol.

You could use U-channel molding too, so the edges don't have to be perfect.

I don't think this was mentioned, but use a CD as a template for the hole. They are cheap and are 1mm smaller than a 120mm fan. Works great.

EDIT: These are 140mm fans. Nevermind.

Last edited:
Back