• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first build. Advice is welcome.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alerisk

So yeah, as the title states; this is my first build. Since about mid-November I have been learning what I can from this site and others while picking and choosing hardware. Now that I have gained a decent understanding of what I'll be getting into I think I'm ready to purchase everything. But before I jump right in, I thought it be best to ask if everything is compatible, worth getting, etc. So enough chit chat, tell me what you think.

Case: Antec 1200
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5
CPU:AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition (125w or 140w?)
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
PSU: CORSAIR 850w (overkill?) Overkill it may be but I think I'm going to go with a 950w. It's only an extra $10.
GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770 (I will be getting a second later on)
Hard drive: Western Digital 640GB 7200RPM Now 1TB.
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM (Should I get retail?)
Optical: LG Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM LightScribe DVD±R DVD Burner

If you think I should make some changes let me know.

Last edited:
At first glance, I thought the 850w was overkill, but then I used this. Corsair PSU finder

If they don't have the exact part I use, I always go up. It suggested 850W minimum.

Also, on the western digital, are you looking at the black series? Double the cache for a little more. I think it looks good, well other than the AMD parts. :)

The hard disk is a bit on the smallish side. Why 640GB? Here's a 1TB WD Black for ~$20 more:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136337

OEM and Retail licenses differ slightly - OEM Windows licenses require that the software be sold with a piece of hardware. OEM tends to be a bit cheaper, too. This is why people will buy OEM software alongside a $2 SATA cable, because hey, it's technically hardware. In your case it won't matter, so long as that license stay with the machine forever.

Thanks for the help, guys. Now I just need to decide on the CPU, 125w or 140w. I know the 125w would be cooler but I don't want to have to flash the bios right off the bat.

i don't think you flash it if it's a revision of the same chip it probably has the same name family multi fsb settings. with oem licence, it's supposidly invalid if your motherboard fails or if you upgrade to a different motherboard (never really encountered this change, I think I have might be able to test this but not now) I had an oem machine that only boots(didn't try to install it) the restore disc if it was inserted into the original dvd rom drive that came with the system.

Back