• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyway To Re-Install XP On Acer One Netbook

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I have been giving the task to fix a Acer One netbook last week I went around to my friends and updated a few programs Java, Anti Virus, Firewall and updated security via Windows Update.

Everything has been fine since last Saturday when it started to BSOD I tried to get into Safe Mode but while it's loading up drivers it's stuck at AGP something and again BSOD's. The error the BSOD shows is something about config and dumps physical memory.

Is there anyway to re-install XP from a CD, bare in my mind this netbook has no CD based drive it's flash memory and the owner accidentally deleted the set-up files to the XP off the flash memory HDD.

So there willing to pay for a CD based one if there's a way to re-install it, or should they send it off to Acer I think it's only a year old.

There are many guis to install windows from a usb flash drive. This allows you to boot from it and install it to the hard drive as if it were the install CD.

You could try removing hard drive and using it in different computer. install operating sytem on it and put it back in netbook.

I recently replaced my HP Mini SSD drive with a runcore drive and loaded the OS by using Windows Deployment Service and PXE.

also if you dont have a USB cd rom drive do what i do to install OS's on my netbook. If you have an External HD enclosure hook it up to a spare cd drive, it works like a charm and acts just like an external cd rom drive, although a lil more ghetto, but should work perfectly fine. I have a PATA external enclosure and hook it up all the time to various PATA cd / dvd drives, never tried a sata optical in a sata hd enclosure, but i dont see why it wouldn't work.

I did find a REALLY easy neat gui a while back that properly sets up a usb flash drive to be booted from to install windows xp off of. Ill take a look around and see if i can find it.

EDIT- dangit i cant find the program right now... ill keep a lookout, but in my trials and tribulations of installing os's on netbooks, its always been some type of usb cd rom thats the easiest / most reliable way to do it.

Last edited:
That is a great idea n4d. I used the flash drive method in the past and found it to be a pain in the rear. It worked but was confusing and time consuming. Making an internal cd drive external by hooking it up through a usb hard drive enclosure would be a lot easier. I'm going to give that a try the next time I reinstall windows on my EEEpc.

That is a great idea n4d. I used the flash drive method in the past and found it to be a pain in the rear. It worked but was confusing and time consuming. Making an internal cd drive external by hooking it up through a usb hard drive enclosure would be a lot easier. I'm going to give that a try the next time I reinstall windows on my EEEpc.

ya i always found it a damn PAIN to get xp onto a flash drive and installed properly, having to deal with floppy boot images and whatnot its just crazy. Then one day i was like... hmm lets see if hookin this old cd drive up to my enclosure works... sure enough it did, and i havnt looked back since.

I never got the USB flash drive thingy to work on the aspire one. I tried probably 5 different guides and still no luck.

I ended up doing what nd4 said, I had an older USB PATA external drive and hooked up my CD rom to it, ghetto but i worked like a charm!

USB CDROM drive is your best bet. I have installed it on Acer netbooks and other netbooks this way.

Your ACER should have come with a recovery DVD. Also, I would run a hardware diagnostic on that HDD. you might have a bad sector that thing might BSOD on you.

You could try removing hard drive and using it in different computer. install operating sytem on it and put it back in netbook.

It has no HDD it's using flash memory so can't remove it.

also if you dont have a USB cd rom drive do what i do to install OS's on my netbook. If you have an External HD enclosure hook it up to a spare cd drive, it works like a charm and acts just like an external cd rom drive, although a lil more ghetto, but should work perfectly fine. I have a PATA external enclosure and hook it up all the time to various PATA cd / dvd drives, never tried a sata optical in a sata hd enclosure, but i dont see why it wouldn't work.

I did find a REALLY easy neat gui a while back that properly sets up a usb flash drive to be booted from to install windows xp off of. Ill take a look around and see if i can find it.

EDIT- dangit i cant find the program right now... ill keep a lookout, but in my trials and tribulations of installing os's on netbooks, its always been some type of usb cd rom thats the easiest / most reliable way to do it.

I was thinking about this option I remember seeing a video guide on youtube once and the person did the same thing I will buy a USB PATA HDD encloser this month and do it that way. But could a USB SATA HDD encloser work too as my Samsung drive is SATA.

Again thanks for the help guys this forums rules.

Easy guys a new bit of info the 8GB memory card inside thats used for external storage has the original Windows XP install folders i386 & Value Add only problem is the auto run and little bits are missing for some strange reason.

And I was looking at the files and inside a folder called FACTORY is has files called FACTORY which is a MS-DOS batch file I assume it supposed to enable recovery in DOS but there's nothing to try and do it. I now assume if it was on the main partition then it would work but because it not it wont.

Creating a CD with nLite wont work I dont think because of the small missing autoboot file etc will it.

Last edited:
Back