• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i3 or E8400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tanderson

Registered
right now i have an E8400, getting rid of my motherboard here in the next couple days and want to upgrade, but im thinking of going to an i3, all i really do is game. so my question is

would the i3 be better than the E8400 (for gaming) both at 4.0ghz?

Clock for Clock wise, they will be really close for gaming purposes. Go for the i5 750 with a decent mobo. You won't regret it.

Minus well run something like 3dmark 05 or 06. Any benchmark not listed on HWBot is useless. ;)

Ahem, that aside, you probably won't see much increase from a e8400 to an i3 if you are just gaming. That said, are you having any problems with your current setup? Unless you have a huge monitor, a e8400 and 4890 should handle most things...

Minus well run something like 3dmark 05 or 06. Any benchmark not listed on HWBot is useless. ;)

Ahem, that aside, you probably won't see much increase from a e8400 to an i3 if you are just gaming. That said, are you having any problems with your current setup? Unless you have a huge monitor, a e8400 and 4890 should handle most things...

define huge...im kinda in this guy's same boat...but im looking at the i5 661

I have just a entry level graphic card 9500GT and never run a Passmark but gave it a run on 1920x1080 monitor.
Tested i5-750 @ 185 bclk TURBO
Is that score below any good?

(sorry about off the topic)

2ewh3z8.jpg

I have just a entry level graphic card 9500GT and never run a Passmark but gave it a run on 1920x1080 monitor.
Tested i5-750 @ 185 bclk TURBO
Is that score below any good?

(sorry about off the topic)

2ewh3z8.jpg

Post a screenshot in the CPU tab :)

cpu-1.png

heres mine..but how in the hell is he getting a 6k score with a lower clock than me on an identical chip ?

EDIT: lol....i was looking at the wrong person's hahah....was an i5
savesam...what kinda memory you have?

It looks like I have a very decend score (highest points 6626pts) for running at 3.7GHz for CPU (up top) :)

@retrogreq: with this test...my rams were set @ 740MHz - 999-23 | 2:8 ratio | G.Skill PC3-15000CL9-2GBRH
|
2a7byc6.jpg

============================

EDIT:
I didn't save the log and re-ran the test resulted with a little lower score 1556.8 overall....here is the CPU TAB

2nqb5me.jpg

Last edited:
sda.png

here is mine vs a i3 540 @4.6ghz....on this test, mine is at the speed in my earlier screenie

just barely beat out the i3 overall, so im gonna guess clock for clock, the E8x00's are better than the i3's in this synthetic bench

where are ya hey zeus!? im quite interested in your score

I was diagnosing a memory issue :)

sda.png

here is mine vs a i3 540 @4.6ghz....on this test, mine is at the speed in my earlier screenie

just barely beat out the i3 overall, so im gonna guess clock for clock, the E8x00's are better than the i3's in this synthetic bench

That's my 4.6Ghz Baseline haha. One of my Dimm's is bad. I'm only in single channel :(

Cinebench :

Single : 4491
Multi : 10,478

Last edited:
My results for the CPU mark on my E6300 @3.95ghz

Sorry No photobucket for me...lol

Cpu Mark - 3313.7
IM- 1238.5
FPM- 1827.1
FPN- 920.1
SSE- 7.8
Comp- 4325.9
Enc-12.3
Phys- 145.8
SS- 1868.7

Still playing with clocks, timings and such so dropped it a hair under 4ghz this week...

What do you folks think? bad?good?

cpu-1.png

heres mine..but how in the hell is he getting a 6k score with a lower clock than me on an identical chip ?

EDIT: lol....i was looking at the wrong person's hahah....was an i5
savesam...what kinda memory you have?

i have nearly the same chip as you, just the e8400, clocked higher than yours, and yet your chip still gets a higher overall score than mine, and has higher integer math, and floating point math scores, yet all the other scores, mine are higher. i wonder why that is..
performancetest70.jpg

Back