• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IRQ's (Again)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

two_dope2000

Did anyone ver figure out how to assign IRQs so your videos card has its on specific irq? not shared with anything onboard?

Well, it involves changing things in both, but mainly in Windows. It is a complicated process, but it can be done in 2 ways: Fresh re-install of Windows, or modify current install. If you do the latter, you may experience more problems.

You have to update the driver for ACPI Compliant System in Device Manager, change it to Standard PC. When you reboot, it will re-detect all hardware again, and you may lose some power management features, such as being able to power off your computer automatically w/o pushing the button.

I only suggest doing this if you have serious problems or lockups with IRQ sharing and your devices. I currently have 5 devices sharing IRQ7, which I think is bad, but I do not get any major issues with this configuration.

I do have extremely serious problems with lockups i locked up 4 times and i finally went into linux just to reply to this thread!

Could you give me a link or instructions on how to do this, cuz i cant find acpi anything except for an ACPI Power Button.

Also would you happen to know why my computer will not freeze in linux mandrake or in windows while im playing games??

To disable ACPI, please change the system setting from 'ACPI-PC' to 'Standard-PC' under Device Manager -> Computer -> ACPI-PC -> Drivers -> Update Drivers -> Select List -> Standard-PC. Please note that changing this means that all drivers of your hardware are re-installed (keep the driver disks available). Additionally, make sure that PNP OS INSTALLED in BIOS is set to NO (very important).

i have yet to get the video on it's own irq, but i do have it sharing irq 10 with the onboard nic and it is fine this way, i have great performance, and no losses while playing online games, i just reserved INT Pin 4 to irq 11 and reserved irq 5 for legacy so that usb would take that, you definitely don't wanna see serial bus controller sharing with any video or nic irq, you'll be sorry if that happens.

Back