Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

Getting charged twice for the same gas?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 01-08-10, 02:38 PM Thread Starter   #1
Dapman02

Getting charged twice for the same gas?

So today i checked my debit card and noticed that I have two pending authorizations from the same shop yesterday
Yesterday I had to get some gas. When I pulled up and swiped my card, I thought I couldn't see the screen (thought it was frozen) so I hit cancel. When I looked at another pump I noticed that I was just an idiot and didn't see it right away. So I swiped my card again, filled up, and left.
I check my account today, and under pending charges I get this
01/07/10 CONOCO SHORT STOP RA $1.00
01/07/10 CONOCO SHORT STOP RA $1.00
should I be worried about this. This is a pending charge and i hope that one of them will go away once the full amount is taken out, but what should I do if it isn't? Should I do a charge back?

GPU: Visiontek 5850 Core 875Mhz/1175mhz memory
Motherboard: MSI 880G-E45
Case: CM Storm Enforcer
RAM: 2x2gb Samsung generic
HDD: Samsung 500GB 5400RPM
Christian Overclocker
Dapman02 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-08-10, 03:32 PM   #2
JonSimonzi

I work for Bank of America. Nothing to be worried about. You pulled in and swiped your card, the gas station sent out an authorization for $1. You hit cancel, meaning there is no finalization of the first transaction. But, the requested authorization, because it was still sent in, shows on your account. If you have BoA, it will fall off in 3 days. If you don't, other financial institutions should be similar. The second time you swiped your card again, the same authorization gets sent into your account, except this time, the transaction finalizes, and Short Stops bank will send over the sales draft to your bank, and the one transaction will post.

If for whatever reason Short Stop finalizes both transactions (not likely), call your bank, and just tell them you need to file a claim/dispute a transaction. But, I doubt it would need to go that far.

Silverstone ST65F-G - Silverstone SG10
Heatware
JonSimonzi is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-08-10, 08:21 PM   #3
drshivas
Sith Lord

10 Year Badge

That sounds right on.

<threadJack>
Incidentally, you can see the danger of using check cards here. Are these authorizations still holds? If that canceled authorization wasn't $1, but rather $100, and you only have $110 in your account, you can bounce checks or get declined until that authorization clears. Large holds can happen at car rental places, hotels, etc. I stopped using check cards years ago and just use credit cards for this very reason.
</threadJack>
drshivas is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-08-10, 10:22 PM Thread Starter   #4
Dapman02

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSimonzi View Post
I work for Bank of America. Nothing to be worried about. You pulled in and swiped your card, the gas station sent out an authorization for $1. You hit cancel, meaning there is no finalization of the first transaction. But, the requested authorization, because it was still sent in, shows on your account. If you have BoA, it will fall off in 3 days. If you don't, other financial institutions should be similar. The second time you swiped your card again, the same authorization gets sent into your account, except this time, the transaction finalizes, and Short Stops bank will send over the sales draft to your bank, and the one transaction will post.

If for whatever reason Short Stop finalizes both transactions (not likely), call your bank, and just tell them you need to file a claim/dispute a transaction. But, I doubt it would need to go that far.
Thanks, this is what I was thinking would happen, but you just never know

Hope for the best, but expect the worse kind of deal

GPU: Visiontek 5850 Core 875Mhz/1175mhz memory
Motherboard: MSI 880G-E45
Case: CM Storm Enforcer
RAM: 2x2gb Samsung generic
HDD: Samsung 500GB 5400RPM
Christian Overclocker
Dapman02 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-09-10, 12:42 PM   #5
jhanby

$1.00 of petrol ?

Dell Optiplex SX260 running ubuntu
PS3 <Optical> Compass DAC/Amp -> Audio Technica AD700
jhanby is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-09-10, 12:50 PM   #6
visbits

It cost more than $1 to get gas for my weedwacker. Interesting?

HEATWARE
visbits is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-09-10, 01:14 PM   #7
updawg
StarCraft II Fanatic

No the hold is for $1 after the fact they charge you the amount of your gas purchase. So the first 3 days it will show $1 and then after that it will reflect the final purchase cost.
updawg is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-09-10, 01:29 PM   #8
4GHZ_or_bust
Now 6GHz or Bust!

For now I'd ignore it. The $1 is just a check to ensure you have a valid card, and valid PIN to use debit card.

Try to use regular CC with gas pump, that way they don't surprise you with huge hold and causes your account to go into negative and pile up on overdraft charges.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.