• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Paint (not spray) case???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmdixon85

So I really want to turn the inside of my HAF923 to black but I don't have any indoor area to spray the case and the weather in the UK is pretty crap for doing it outside.

So has anyone ever used a brush to paint there system? I was thinking of using this paint as it gives a very smooth finish:

53460.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-HAMMERITE...Material_Paint_Varnish_MJ?hash=item35a6034e33

Last edited:
I see no reason it would not work. I have used acyclic craft paint with great success on metal. And that stuff is designed for metal so you should be good to go. (Is it oil or acyclic based paint? If it is Oil make sure your work area is well vented... no need to get brain damage from the fumes)

my only suggestion would be to take some course steel wool and slightly roughen all parts to be painted. It will help with adhesion - I would also use a foam brush or a natural hair brush... never had good luck with synthetic bristles.

I'm really not sure if it is oil based or not. I can't find this paint on the Hammerite website. Thanks for the advice tho :)

i dont think id do the brush on .. id probably wallpaper my bathroom with newspaper and open a window with a fan and have at it ..

im interested to see how this turns out though .. im sure the paint itself would be better than spray paint .. just not sure on applying it though

DSC00100.jpg

DSC00102.jpg

All stripped down and ready to be painted. I really can't be bothered drilling out rivets and such so will just have to be carefull.

I've decided to wait and see if the weather improves (-7c right now) and if it does I've decided to spray the case instead on my driveway using this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hammerite-Ham...Material_Paint_Varnish_MJ?hash=item1e58f2d532

9fd8_35.JPG

My temp ghetto setup: :)

DSC00107.jpg

EDIT: Should I lacquer the case after it has been sprayed?? :shrug:

Not sure. Was just thinking it may protect from scratches. Suppose it won't matter if im carefull when installing hardware etc

you should spray/paint a clear coat over it, wont change the shinyness of the paint just will help stop it from scratching and for best results you might want to give it a light sand first and prime it.
Cheers.

It's finally done. Went down the typical "spraying" route instead of painting. Turned out rather good :)

The spray paint I got said there was no need to prime but I did give it a light sand first.

Bits 'n' bobs sprayed:

DSC00113.jpg

Right hand panel:

DSC00119.jpg

Left panel:

DSC00116.jpg

Window put back in:

DSC00120.jpg

Even the back of the case and behind the mobo tray got sprayed:

DSC00125.jpg

Looking good so far:

DSC00121.jpg

All done :) Much better than the standard steel:

DSC00127.jpg

I am going to keep running the ghetto setup until I can get a Zalman ZM-MFC1 Plus fan controller (or 2) and a couple more fans, then I can get my cables nice 'n' neat :)

quick question the spray paint that you used did it leave that spray paint smell behind or was it unnoticed i sprayed down one of my cases a long time ago and it still smelled like spray paint a while after and never really bothered to reattempt

quick question the spray paint that you used did it leave that spray paint smell behind or was it unnoticed i sprayed down one of my cases a long time ago and it still smelled like spray paint a while after and never really bothered to reattempt
Sorry about that, your post got caught up in our spam filter. I approved the post so it is visible. :)

Back