• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Thermalright Venomous X CPU Cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Thermalright Venomous X CPU Cooler
by ak118

The successor to the ever popular Ultra 120E series CPU Coolers, the new Venomous X 1366, 775, and 1156 socket CPU Cooler boasts a lot of new improvements while staying true to proven fundamentals. I finally had a chance this busy holiday weekend to install the Thermalright Venomous X that I got from UltimatePCcooling.com. After having some experience with the Ultra 120 E series, I noticed a lot of improvements with the Venomous X especially during the installation process
. One thing that’s worth mentioning to any potential buyer is that Thermalright heatsinks usually stand pretty tall; The Venomous X is about 160 mm tall, so make sure you have enough room or you will be without a case door like me.

Click here to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus.

Last edited:
Saw that these were out. Have been considering using one in place of my CM Hyper 212+ to see if I can go for a higher OC at a lower temp, but have been waiting to see some more reviews.

Venemous = TRUE + New Mounting HW?

Hmmm, just installed a TRUE in my son's new machine and this heatsink looks an awful lot like it.

If (ahem) true, perhaps Thermalright will offer the new mounting kit, since the one that came with the TRUE made it a bear to mate the sink with the bracket without having it skate around on top of the CPU.

I read some says its better than Megahalems but some said not, so I'll just order 1 to see the real performance.

Hmmm, just installed a TRUE in my son's new machine and this heatsink looks an awful lot like it.

If (ahem) true, perhaps Thermalright will offer the new mounting kit, since the one that came with the TRUE made it a bear to mate the sink with the bracket without having it skate around on top of the CPU.

I have both a Rev C TRUE (latest revision) and a Venomous X here at the house getting ready to put them head to head, testing. They are not the same heatsink, for sure. They are similar, but the Ven X doesn't have the curve built into the long sides (where the fans mount) like the TRUE and also the sides have some little cut designs in them. And the wire clips for mounting the fans are different too. It's more an evolutionary descendant of the TRUE than a totally new design though. The mounting system is what really is the revolutionary part. And while I haven't tried it yet, the new mount should work just fine on the TRUE.

re: Venemous = TRUE + new HW?

I have both a Rev C TRUE (latest revision) and a Venomous X here at the house getting ready to put them head to head, testing.

Ahh, OK. Thanks for clearing up my misconception. I look forward to your results!

Back