• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocked Dual core e5300. 2.6ghz-3.6ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joshe5300

Overclocked Dual core e5300. 2.6ghz-3.6ghz-3.8ghz

First off, a big hello to everyone, I'm new to overclocking and recently built my first computer.
I recently bought a new motherboard, cpu and some other goodies, here are the specs:
mobo: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L
Cpu: Intel Pentium Dual core duo e5300 2.6ghz
Unknown 3 Heat tube heatsink and fan
Ram: Kingston 2gb ddr2
Graphics card: Gigabyte HD4670 1gb ddr3
PSU: Gigabyte Superb 460w
Case Aywun G01 gaming case
Ok thought id tell you my overclocking specs as im wondering if my temps seem right or not.
standard its 2.6ghz and now its oc'd to 3.6ghz, Because im tight on cash after my splurge ive reused my dads old p4 heatsink and fan, cleaned it up and lightly lapped the copper transfer plate, ran a whole 4 degrees less than the heatsink that came with the e5300, so thats what im running atm.
At idle it sits on 33c with tjmax set to 100
at 100% load its 49-51c and thats running it for 4hours on prime95
and im using realtemp to monitor my temps. so does seem right or is this odly cool for a aircooled setup?
thanks guys for reading and i look forward to hearing your reply's
cheers Josh

Last edited:
Just as a side note, Ive been running prime95 large fft for 1hr+
and the temp for both cores hasnt gone past 52c, thats now overclocked to 3.8ghz
i would of thought the temps would be much higher?

Welcome to the forums!

Yeah that's fairly cool. Did you hafta boost vcore? What's ambient temp?

That's a nice OC, and nice temps too.
The temp sensors aren't the most accurate things around, distence to TJunction is the best way to go.
That said, 52 sounds about right for a decent cooler and 3.6ghz if you've been able to keep the voltage down-ish.

Good OC, I have an E5200 at 3.8GHz. What FSB, multiplier, and voltages are you running for that OC?

Thanks for all the reply's guys, much appreciated :)
I have it sitting on 3.8ghz at the moment, idle is 33c and full load is still 51-52c
Imy bios settings are
13x 293mhz bus speed, core voltage is 1.36v in cpuz and set to auto in bios
only thing ive had to keep a check on is the ram freq to make sure it doesnt go to high mainly because it wont boot, Ive tried 4ghz but im guessing ill have to play with voltages to get it stable.
heres a copy and paste from cupz report
Core Speed 3808.9 MHz
Multiplier x FSB 13.0 x 293.0 MHz
Rated Bus speed 1172.0 MHz
Stock frequency 2600 MHz
Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T, VT-x
L1 Data cache 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache 2048 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control yes
FID range 6.0x - 13.0x
Max VID 1.288 V
temp from tjmax is 67 at ildle with tjmax set to 100c

heres a screen shot of cpuid in case im not making any sense lol
e530038ghz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ive been running prime95 now for 30mins and the temps have stabalized at 46-47c, though it is colder in the room now than yesterday
heres another pic
e530038ghz30mins.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Wow you've really inspired me when all my goodies come in the mail in 2 days for my e5300 setup! :)

I am hoping to achieve as close to 4ghz as possible. Had a deal for an IP35 pro fall through, so now I gotta figure out what mobo I am gonna be running.

Thanks for all the reply's guys, much appreciated :)
I have it sitting on 3.8ghz at the moment, idle is 33c and full load is still 51-52c
Imy bios settings are
13x 293mhz bus speed, core voltage is 1.36v in cpuz and set to auto in bios
only thing ive had to keep a check on is the ram freq to make sure it doesnt go to high mainly because it wont boot, Ive tried 4ghz but im guessing ill have to play with voltages to get it stable.
heres a copy and paste from cupz report
Core Speed 3808.9 MHz
Multiplier x FSB 13.0 x 293.0 MHz
Rated Bus speed 1172.0 MHz
Stock frequency 2600 MHz
Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T, VT-x
L1 Data cache 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache 2048 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control yes
FID range 6.0x - 13.0x
Max VID 1.288 V
temp from tjmax is 67 at ildle with tjmax set to 100c

You definitely want to take the voltages off "Auto" as it usually overvolts. It's best to set everything you can manually. You say you need to keep an eye on your RAM frequency? Just set up a 1:1 FSB:RAM ratio while you OC your CPU and when you're done, try bumping the RAM back up to its rated speed. I'm hoping you can get a 308MHz FSB for 4GHz after some tweaking.

stang8118 glad to be a inspiration lol
MattNo5ss what should i set my core voltage to? I'll give what you suggested a go and ill post up my results soon.
This forum is awesome, lots of nice people and good advice ;)

stang8118 glad to be a inspiration lol
MattNo5ss what should i set my core voltage to? I'll give what you suggested a go and ill post up my results soon.
This forum is awesome, lots of nice people and good advice ;)

You can just set it to what CPU-Z says for now. Try to raise your FSB a few MHz at a time and increase vCore a little if needed (I wouldn't go much over 1.4v). When you reach a point where vCore isn't helping, you just back the vCore and FSB back down to the last "stable" settings and see if a different voltage increase helps, like NB. If you're still having trouble trying increasing both vCore and NB voltage. I'm starting to ramble...I digress...

The point is just take it slow and adjust one thing at a time until it doesn't help, then double up.

Your RAM should be fine throughout that process as it will be underclocked to 2xFSB (616 max with the 308 FSB target) with the 1:1 ratio.

MattNo5ss Ive been playing around for the last hour or so and cant seem to get it to run stable after 3.8ghz. no matter what i do that seems to be the limit
ive got it to boot @ 4ghz but instantly freezes and reboot as soon as i start prime95.
ive tried every setting that i could think of. i really want to hit 4ghz but its not looking likely

Have you found your max FSB by lowering the multiplier to 6 and seeing how far you can go?

Back