• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Does The Ultra-Thin Laptop Offer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

setotitan

Help With Clarification On What Setup I Need

OK as I understand it there's a few categories of laptops

Netbook: Small screen, small storage space, low memory, decent processor. Mostly used for surfing the net, listening to music, and light word processing.

UltraThin: Medium to large screen, not sure on other specs ???

All-In-One: Medium screen, medium to large storage space, medium memory, mid-range processor. Not as stripped down as a Netbook but not as not meant for serious work or gaming.

Multimedia: Large screen, large space, high memory, fast processor. Usually on the higher end of all the specs. Meant for doing graphic intensive work or high end video entertainment.

Gaming: Medium to Large screen, large space, tons of memory, cutting edge processor, also high end graphics card. Meant for hard core gamers or people who want the best.

My issue is I don't want the tiny screen that the Netbook offers. But I don't really need the All-In-One either. I really only plan on using it like I would a Netbook, just to check my email, surf the net, do some word processing. However I don't need all the storage space or the extra usb ports or little bells and whistles of an All-In-One. And I for sure don't need a Multimedia or Gaming setup. I guess I need to know what's the downside to Ultra-Thins. I mean I get it the screen is bigger, but aside from the big screen what are the advantages and disadvantages of the Ultra-Thin? I just thought I remembered hearing bad things about them. Any advice is welcome.

Ultra-thin laptops are simply very, very thin laptops. They generally cost quite a bit more and have long battery life and high end low voltage/really low voltage CPUs for longer battery life.

Well by ultra-thins I think you mean the 13.3" - 12.1" screen laptops. They're basically a netbook with a slightly larger screen and sometimes a few perks like more memory or whatever. Also, most netbooks use compact flash for their main drive, and ultra-thins use an actual 2.5inch laptop drive. So they offer more storage (and hypothetically faster access times because of a higher bandwidth interface), a larger platform, larger screen (usually 12.1 or 10.6), and normal size keyboard.

Here's a great ultra-thin for your needs: Link - $430

Or if you want a little more CPU and graphics power: Link - $500

The first link is an MSI Wind built on the new AMD Athlon Neo (basically AMD's answer to the Intel Atom). The MSI Wind series includes many nettops and netbooks that are extremely popular, so an ultra thin under this name should prove worthy as well. However, if you plan on watching alot of media like DVD's or online media streaming like netflix and hulu; the second option will suit you very well. It's an equally popular in the mini-laptop realm ASUS Eee ultra-thin built on the new Intel Atom + nVidia ION platform. It's purpose built to be lower power, light weight, and media driven.

Ahh so I get it, that's why people aren't fans of Ultra-Thins. You basily get less screen, memory, processing power, and don't get an optical drive for the same price of an All-In-One. The only plus is it weighs half as much and gets double the battery life. We'll if they're the same price I'd rather go with the All-In-One. Thanks for the help guys!

Back