• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem: Please Help (Regarding a headset)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Albion72

Registered
I bought a Razer Carcharias headset.

Its not a USB headset it plugs into the jacks in the back of the computer.

Before I tell you what my problem is, I'll just let you know that I have Windows Vista 64 bit, so that you know what my control panel looks like.

Under sound devices there are three microphones, even though only one is plugged in. They are all the same microphone. (Not sure, this might be how it is SUPPOSED to be but I do not have experience regarding such matters.)

Only one of them at any one time has the little meter next to that symbolizes if noise was captured by the mic.

I use a voice changer to protect my identity because I do a lot of online gaming and I'm fairly young at 16 years old, just a thing my parents made me do since I was like 12.

Now with my old USB headset, my voice changer recognized it under devices.

Well it recognizes this new one too, however I have those three options to choose from and neither of them seem to be doing the trick. The voice program doesn't pick up the sound that enters the mic.

I went into control panel under sound devices and checked the properties, made sure the levels were high enough, etc. I noticed that they were all muted. So I unmuted them and began to speak, I noticed I heard myself through the voice changer. However when I X'ed out of the control panel, it seems that my voice changer (and/or windows, or some other program/thing) automatically muted all three of my microphones devices within the control panel. The only way to fix it is to unmute it, but it doesn't stay unmuted for very long.

My question: Why is my headsets microphone muting itself repeatedly?

Another question: does the check box "Allow exclusive applications to take control of this device" have anything to do with it? What does this check box and the one under it mean?

Thanks in advanced OC Forums, I've always had my issue resolved here.

Back