• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The final question about the 800D, carpet issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tinymouse2

So, I'm very close to buying it but there's only 1 thing that looks bad about it. The only air intake for the motherboard section is from the ground. The case will be sitting on carpet. Not shag carpet but carpet none the less.
My carpet is about 3mm high. I can't find anywhere that says exactly how high the case is raised by the bars on the bottm. The sides won't be blocked but will the carpet get in the way to much?

Thanks for your help so far, this will be the last time I ask a question =)

Carpet will restrict air flow to some extent.

You could always head to Home Depot or Lowes or wherever, and get yourself a nice piece of shelving cut to length to place under the computer case. It also distributes the weight of the case among the whole piece of wood instead of just the feet so you do not end up with indentations in the carpet from the case feet.

I did that and it works great.

It sits about an inch above the ground/its feet. Sitting it on carpet, as dribble mentioned, will likely restrict airflow a bit. Not sure how much or its actual effect on temps but that case needs all the intake it is designed for. And with the weight of that monster, it will make dents in the carpet and hunker down pretty close. Though 3mm carpet sounds like commericial grade and may not be an issue. I dont have 70's shag (hehe) carpet, just regular, buts its like 1/2" or so deep which I beleive is way more than 3mm.

Mine sits on a low filing cabinet anyway...

I havent touched mine. I dont know. I dont think they are adjustable. I will check when I get home though!

No the feet on the Obsidian are NOT adjustable, they are solid aluminum.
+1 for the shelving, I have done that myself and I have added casters to the bottom of the feet.

Woah EarthDog your comment threw me there... how does the cooling compare to some other cases then? If I'm paying that much for a case I don't just want it to look nice...

Also thanks for all the replies from all of you! A shelf does sound like a good idea but I might go with a piece of black cardboard thing (premium grade, it doesnt just crumple when you put weight on it.) Still not sure though =(

Its just fine...Its no Antec 1200 as far as air cooling goes though. The difference between my other setup (antec1200 with rad sitting on shelf hehe) with a much better rad is only about 5C. So I would imagine the difference is only 2C.

I'm no watercooler and have a HAF932 that gets my GPU to 72*C in FurMark after about 2 hours or so. I've heard the 1200 isn't as good so will the 800D get the temp up to about 80? Or will it stay at about 75?

Thanks for the quick reply =)

Not sure...really. Like I said, its no Antec1200/HAF though. There is only one intake and thats not a lot of fresh, ambient air.

Well I mean what are your temps in that case compared to a 1200 or a HAF? Or do you not have either of those to compare with?

I cant make a direct comparison b/c as I mentioned in the article, I made a boo boo with a much better rad (arguably the best 3x120) and punctured it by accident upon install and had to downgarde to an inferior model so I couldnt make a direct comparison on temps. I never air cooled with the antec. Bottom line is there isnt much difference, but I can bet good money that the HAF/Ant1200 are better coolers. The difference though isnt much, a few C, but its noticeable. Not sure how I can say the same thing a different way again. :)

OK I'll stop bugging you now =P
I'm still not sure but I think I will get this case just depends when. I'll probably wait until it's gone just under £200.

Thanks for your help though :)

You are not bugging me at all. I just repeated the essentially the same thing a couple times. Its not a primo air cooled case. But it gets the job done, no doubt.

Im thinking about modding the side window to put another 140mm intake to help out.

Hmm what about modding the front of the case (the drive bay pannels) to switch them to grills with fans behind them? I don't like the sound of splitting open a side panel when it has plexi glass in it.

And do say if I get annoying =P I have a tendency to go on a bit.

Its solid steel in front. It would be easier and more effective by far, to mod the plexi IMHO.

Hmm fair play. Well It's going to take a bit of time for the price to drop down but sometime it will be mine =P
I don't like the concept of modding the most expensive part of my computer tbh so I'll probably just stick with the stock cooling (possibly add a few fans but only in the pre-made slots)

Again, thanks for your help!

Thing is, the premade slots are for the HDDs, so it doesnt allow more cooling to the motherboard area. Check out the Corsair website on it and you will see what I mean. The ONLY place I can see to improve intake is mounting it on the plexi panel.

NP tiny. ;)

Nice! It does seem like that would do the job.
Swaying further and further into buying this sooner now. Also I meant just above the HDD's like in ^ picture.
Well I'm going to go look over everything but I could be buying this in Feb! I take things slow when their >50 quid (includes dates as well =D)

Back