• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PNY GTX 260 core 216 reaching 105c

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GhostxNote

Registered
:cry:

I just got this card! Whenever I am playing Crysis or COD: MW2
The temp shoots up to 105c. I tryed turning the fans up to 100% but still no cigar.

My PSU is 600 Watts. 100 Watts more than reccommended.

I really have no idea what it could be. I tryed downclocking and its still in the 100's.:temper:

Did you check the cooler for dust maybe something blocks the airflow ?
Does the fanspeed change when you raise it from software ?

Well its either the fan is incredibly silent or not working because i dont really hear the fan increase in volume when i increase the fan speed. As a matter of fact, i dont feel much air coming from it, how could i fix this?

My 260's sounds like a hairdryer when I turn the fans to 100%... I'm not joking, it's VERY loud.
Are you using RiverTuner? If not then download that and try and change the fan speeds through that. It's also, I've found, the most reliable temp gauge.

So yeh, do ^ and say what happends. Your 260 should be sitting at 75-80 under Crysis, no where near 100. The reccomended max is 85 just incase you weren't aware.

Also what are your idle temps?

Then check the cooling although the 2X0 coolers were silent over 50% it can be clearly heard.

I would remove the card and check it for anything which could block it, you can touch the fan with your hand carefully while the card is in the pc to check whether the fan spins.

Maybe the cable of the fan isn't connected to the board.

Yeah, the fan is dead silent to 50% but at 100% you can hear it for sure. Sounds like the fan isnt working or not spinning fast enough if it is.

Then check the cooling although the 2X0 coolers were silent over 50% it can be clearly heard.

I would remove the card and check it for anything which could block it, you can touch the fan with your hand carefully while the card is in the pc to check whether the fan spins.

Maybe the cable of the fan isn't connected to the board.

Where do i plug in the thin black 2 pin wire from the graphics card? Is that the Fan chord? Where on the mother board would i plug it in?

PS: The fan isn't moving at all i realized.

You dont plug it in on teh motherboard, you plug it in on the card. You should see the place where it goes...

As I recall the cooler covers the socket for the cable (it's on the card as earthdog wrote), so if I am not mistaken you have to remove the cooler and connect the cable to the card, you should apply new thermal paste on the gpu before reseating the cooler.

Did it come like that? If so then you should RMA it because removing the cooling has the potential to damage the card. If it's only just started happening and it's out of warrenty or you don't mind voiding it then just remove the outer case and there should be a cable coming out of the fan and a socket on the GPU board itself. Just connect them two together and you should be ready to go!

Just wondering what were your temps in L4D or any other source game? Running a GPU passively is awesome :)

I thought it might be a second hand card and someone used aftermarket cooling on it and forgot to connect the cable when put back the stock cooler. The reference boards are made in the same factory I doubt pny have much to do with the cable.

Yeah you dont want to let that card sit at those temps for very long..

The guy I traded my 285+cash for his 295 ran it at stock for its whole life, with multi displays, and it ran hot. hot hot hot. If I would have known how hot he ran it, I would never have done the trade, since the card died 1.5 months later, and is now in RMA. I only mention this because he contacted me yesterday, telling me that my old brand new 285 has bit the bullet after 8 months use. And if it was like his old 295, more then likely he had multi displays attached, and the card ran hot. Im not sure if this means anything, but my last 2x 285s, and my 295 had a high gloss pcb, and they are all dead. My current 285, as well as my 4890 have a more dullish look, and is a bit lighter.. Im wondering if they changed somethings to be a littl more heat resistant.

Sorry, just thinking ouy loud..

Yeah you dont want to let that card sit at those temps for very long..

Im not sure if this means anything, but my last 2x 285s, and my 295 had a high gloss pcb, and they are all dead. My current 285, as well as my 4890 have a more dullish look, and is a bit lighter.. Im wondering if they changed somethings to be a littl more heat resistant.

Sorry, just thinking ouy loud..

I have my 285 for a year (glossy black) and until I went water it ran rather hot because I limited the fan as my rigs are rather silent and the noise annoys me, some of the plastic stickers are peeling off on the back of the card I guess the heat. Still runs fine and not really on usual clocks.

I had a sparkle fanless 8800GT with an additional backside cooler and it ran over 90C under games, still works despite the melting macbooks. ;)

Hey everyone, i will supply you with some pictures.

I took the case off and find nowhere to put a 2pin connector on this board. I must be blind.

The fan looks to be hooked up though....

Attachments

• IMG00296.jpg
    IMG00296.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 622
  • IMG00297.jpg
    IMG00297.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 627
  • IMG00298.jpg
    IMG00298.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG00300.jpg
    IMG00300.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 598
I have my 285 for a year (glossy black) and until I went water it ran rather hot because I limited the fan as my rigs are rather silent and the noise annoys me, some of the plastic stickers are peeling off on the back of the card I guess the heat. Still runs fine and not really on usual clocks.

I had a sparkle fanless 8800GT with an additional backside cooler and it ran over 90C under games, still works despite the melting macbooks. ;)

Yeah I dont have anything concrete on it, like I said I was just thinking out loud on that one. When you run multi displays your card is running 3d clocks all the time. The guy I made the trade with was into silence, and I dont think heat was a concern for him. I had no problems with the 285 I traded to him. He worked at the store I bought it from, and it was only 2 weeks old, when we traded dureing the summer. The 295 I got from him was dieing dureing forum warz, and died shortly after. I only got maybe 6 weeks out of it. I know for sure it idled in the 70s-80s 24/7 for him, and I can only assume he treated my old 285 with that same disrespect :beer:

Back