• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new kingston 30gb boot drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
These should have an intel controller as the last batch of "boot" drives they released a month or so ago used one as well.

These drives are great for what they are, but, with SSD prices falling, the deal doesn't seem that great.

The last time they had the "$80" drive they put it on newegg as a shell shocker onm release and were sold out by 4am est(they post SS at 3am) and didn't get them back in for another 2 weeks. When they did get them back in stock, they were $130... So I wouldn't count on the $80 price.

my .02

I think its slow for an SSD, especially in writes though two in R0 do not sound as bad. Consider the Summit I own sits at 220/135. Yeah, its costs 3 times as much for only twice the space but......

I think that is the one with the Intel controller and not Jmicron.

W7 is like 15-20GB itself right? I am currently using 30GB and only have COD4/Crysis, MS Office, and a few small misc programs. 30GB is SMALL. But put them in R0 and you ahve something a little more useable.

a ton of space is taken up by hibernate and pagefile. If you vlite windows 7 you can get it down to 9gb

also I don't know if this is an intel drive even though the low seq write points to it being one. Intel uses 8gb chips of which there are 5 in the 40gb, 10 in the 80, and 20 in the 160.

30gb is not a multiple of 8, although 32 is, if it is intel with 4 chips seq writes would be lower then 50mb/s. My guess would be around 35mb/s

Last edited:
IMO two of these at a good price in R0 would help bring up the write a little more and give you that extra space you need for win7. Though I agree with Lavacon, with the falling prices on SSDs this may not be that hot of a deal when sale time comes. Time will tell.

Back