• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

renol

Ok, not sure if this is a good deal or not. I called MS about Windows 7. They say they take out software on the OEM and the retail version has more and better if you're replacing or building a computer. So I said to him, ok newegg has it for $184 (rounded) this week with free shipping. He says they sell it for $199 w/o free shipping. Now this is the kicker. He says if you buy from MS store you get to download the Windows 7 and burn it in case you lose the disk. Still I said well I'm use to the disk. He says ok what if I take 10% off. I said ok, what's that come out to. So it's still $199 but if I ever lose the disk, I have that option. Anyone ever heard of that with the Windows 7 from MS store?

Most of us by now have learned to guard our windows disks with our lives. lol If you think you need the option.. then it's a good deal.

I always just buy the OEM versions..

I did it just in case because I may be moving soon. So never hurts to have it, least prevents me from paying another 100 for another oem.

if you pay 200 dollars for windows 7...... face palm... you can get it for 30 bucks.... hell i got 8 coppies of win 7 pro for 19 just gotta take the quick min to look around... there are 2 two threads in the cyber deals section here on win 7 for CHEAP.

btw they dont take anything out on the OEM versions... its just licensing differences.

if you pay 200 dollars for windows 7...... face palm... you can get it for 30 bucks.... hell i got 8 coppies of win 7 pro for 19 just gotta take the quick min to look around... there are 2 two threads in the cyber deals section here on win 7 for CHEAP.

btw they dont take anything out on the OEM versions... its just licensing differences.

I think that deal is a goner. It ended a week or two ago I think.

I think that deal is a goner. It ended a week or two ago I think.

Yeah I just was told up top that MS is a pain in the butt when you try to get them to let you reinstall the OEM with new mobo.

yup,, but I've also had Win 7 for a year now.....

Yeah I just was told up top that MS is a pain in the butt when you try to get them to let you reinstall the OEM with new mobo.

not at all, just using an existing install yes,, not normally possible...

never had a prob with switching OEM copies between rigs. Still there is no point in buying win 7 at full price... deals can be had.

never had a prob with switching OEM copies between rigs. Still there is no point in buying win 7 at full price... deals can be had.

yea, I've been loking itno buying multiple licences and seeing if there are pricebreaks or loopholes.
I'm still using the RC but would love like 3~5 licences.

I'll call back up and see, it's still in processing. Really the only thing I can see myself paying for at this point is not calling MS for every hardware change I do and the ability to download the software should I lose the disk. Kind of a toss up.

Last edited:
Forgot to add, in the OEM they say MS doesn't give support to that. Now by that...does it mean you can't get Windows updates???

Most of us by now have learned to guard our windows disks with our lives.
Most of us have learned to keep an image of the disk on our hard drives and use a USB stick if we ever need to reinstall. :cool:

Back