• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm back! but with questions!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lancelot

I stopped folding last summer when the main C2D rig moved over to the kids for school & gaming. My team rank dropped to 235 I noticed...

All my other stuff is done on laptops but;
This week the mainboard of an old P4HT system in the living room died. I swapped in a 'setup and forget' kit consisting of an Intel G41 board, E7500 CPU, 2GB Kingston ValueRAM.

Ofcourse I have the first SMP WU running right now!

Now I've been reading up here and have a few questions.
1: The system is Windows7 32 bit with two accounts, could I better install the Windows SMP-client as a service? This way my wife won't kill F@H when she logs onto her account and leaves it on for the rest of the day...

2: Or should I bother with the VM install if this REALLY gets better WU-times? (and instruct my wife to NEVER logoff my account)

I stopped folding last summer when the main C2D rig moved over to the kids for school & gaming. My team rank dropped to 235 I noticed...

All my other stuff is done on laptops but;
This week the mainboard of an old P4HT system in the living room died. I swapped in a 'setup and forget' kit consisting of an Intel G41 board, E7500 CPU, 2GB Kingston ValueRAM.

Ofcourse I have the first SMP WU running right now!

Now I've been reading up here and have a few questions.
1: The system is Windows7 32 bit with two accounts, could I better install the Windows SMP-client as a service? This way my wife won't kill F@H when she logs onto her account and leaves it on for the rest of the day...

2: Or should I bother with the VM install if this REALLY gets better WU-times? (and instruct my wife to NEVER logoff my account)

The A2 WU's get up to 60% better PPD, and the only way to get them is by folding in Linux. When you set up the SMP client as a service, there are problems with the MPI shutting down properly on reboot, which causes WU's to get trashed. I would recommend setting up the client in a Linux VM, and if you want to hide it so that your wife can't close it, I recommend using Tray-It, which will allow you to minimize it to the system tray, instead of to the task bar. The SMP2 client is on the way, which may make service installs easier for us SMP folders, since it will be thread based, instead of needing MPI. What does the rig have for a GPU? If it has something that is CUDA enabled, you can run the GPU2 client on it, which will run just fine as a service and net more PPD. If you need a mentor to help out with configuring your clients, let me know and I will see what I can do to get someone on it.

I'd have it fold as a service. Your wife should be using her own account when she's working on the computer, not yours.

Having harmony in the home is far more important than getting some more points with the linux client.

Well, until the Chimp Challenge, anyway. Then, it's VmPlayer, and NotFreds, and lay down THE LAW. :D

:p :p :p

Just a thought, your wife could run in her own VM (either Win 7 or Linux), if you have enough ram. However, 2GB isn't enough to do it, and Win 7 x32 won't recognize but a bit more than 3 GB, so it won't work, but it's food for thought for those with multi account machines that want to keep folding.

I haven't tried switching the Windows host user with an open VM. Has anyone tried? Does it work or does the VM report its open and require closing?

I installed VMplayer and Ubuntu64.
Managed to get SMP installed and folding.
Is it normal to see CPU load fluctuating between 70 to 92% in the host Windows7 system?

The wife has to learn not to logoff my account but 'switch user' only!

Last edited:
Back