• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Last.fm Group

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
from http://www.last.fm/help/faq?category=Getting+Started#335

Last.fm is a music service that lets you discover new music you like, based on the music you already listen to.

The Last.fm website is filled with tons of information on artists, albums and tracks, more music similar to them, charts and other statistics and more, all built by the Last.fm users who’re keeping track of what they’re listening to with Last.fm. (If you want to join them and get your own profile with your personal charts and stats, read the next question for more information.)

You can read about artists you like, check out their most popular tracks, browse their album and find out what other artists are similar to them; learn about upcoming events, explore interesting genres, listen to music and watch videos.

To get the most out of Last.fm, sign up for a user profile – you can build up your personal user profile, write journal articles about your favourite music, create your own event calendar and invite friends, talk to other users and get together with them in groups about interesting topics.

right, similar but not quite the same. when you listen to music on your computer or ipod, you can "scrobble" it, which builds a listening profile, and then the site recommends music based on your listening habits.

http://www.last.fm/help/faq?category=Scrobbling#201
Scrobbling a song means that when you listen to it, the name of the song is sent to Last.fm and added to your music profile.

Once you've signed up and downloaded Last.fm, you can scrobble songs you listen to on your computer or iPod automatically. Start scrobbling yourself, and see what artists you really listen to the most. Songs you listen to will also appear on your Last.fm profile page for others to see.

Millions of songs are scrobbled every day. This data helps Last.fm to organise and recommend music to people; we use it to create personalised radio stations, and a lot more besides.

My tastes are so varied though that it really depends on what I'm in the mood to listen to. Some days I can't get enough Green Day and Blink 182. Other days I listen to Weird Al Yankovich and Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies. Some days I'll listen to Lady GaGa and Prince. Some days I want to hear some Shabba Ranks and Bob Marley. When I'm mellow I'll listen to Enya and Ulrich Schnauss.

I can't say that I'm ever in the mood to listen to all of that mixed together though.

I'll sign up tomorrow just so I can learn you kids some good music, lol

My friend just had me download the Scrobble program yesterday. I had an account for some time, but never did anything with it. I'll join the group in a bit later, you can see my whole 10 plays since yesterday hah.

Back