• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR 2 or DDR 3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Felony44

Registered
I am currently running a AMD Phenom x4 965 on aGigabyte AM 2+ board using 4gb of DDR2. I want to make some upgrades and wanted to know how big of a performance jump will I get going with DDR3. My other upgrade option was to run two WD 640gbs in Raid 0 and short stroke them but I wanted to know if the money is better spent on the ram instead.

What HDDs do you have in them now?, what speed is your ram now?, what speed will your ram be if you upgrade? how much DDR3 ram are you going to put into it?

Not much, really.
In benchmarks a gain is there, in the real world it isn't anything you'd notice. This does assume that you're replacing decently fast ddr2 with decently fast ddr3, and have the same amount.
Plus you have to buy a new mobo to work with the different ram, which raises the price substantially.

go with the raid setup. DDR3 is better than DDR2 but you'll see more performance with a raid setup. no matter how fast your hard drive, it'll always be a bottleneck to the rest of your system. Considering you already have 4GB of RAM it would be foolish to buy more, and I believe only AM3 motherboards support DDR3, so in all likelihood your motherboard probably doesn't support DDR3 anyways.

Sorry for the lack of system info

I have 4gb of Corsair 800 dual channel XMS 2 I would be going up to OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600.

The HDD I have now is just a cheap 5400rpm sata non raid 130gb or so

AMD Phenom x4 965 Black
Corsair 4gb 800 XMS2
Asus ENGTX 275 video card
GIGABYTE GA-MA785G-UD3H MB

You'd be doing dual channel, 2x2gb, only lga1336 Intel setups use triple channel.

Get the hard drives, you'll notice a big difference even with just one.

Back