• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reversing fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

x94blair3

Registered
I tried the reversing fans that one of our distinguished members suggests often. I also tidied up the cables to get improved airflow. Switching the upper fans in and lower fans down didn't seem to do anything. The CPU was still measured at 37degrees, but the insides of the case did raise to 32degrees from 28degrees. So, the other experiment was to move the sunon fans up top to blow out and move the standard included antac fans down below to blow in (assuming they were probably lesser quality.

I now get 35-36degree cpu and 29degree system temp. So I guess I lowered a degree at the cpu, but raised a degree internally :D

Either way, I have to ask myself why I bothered....hehe.

True, it was well worth knowing. Plus I had to get in there to clean up the wires a bit. I couldn't justify new single cables so I just fixed up the existing ones. As you said, it never hurts to try...and I'm running a stead 35 now instead of 37 so something came out of it.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Most people have their heatsink fans blowing on their heatsinks, I lost 3°C by reversing that fan, and having it suck air off of the heatsink. You have to play around with YOUR setup, and find out what works best for you. Others can suggest stuff you can try that you may not have heard of or not thought to try out, but in the end it still comes down to finding out what will work for your setup.

You'll never find out what works best for you until you experiment. Remember, computers are like people, not one of them are alike. Well there is an exception, breeding crazy companies liek Compaq and Dell. Also, remember that hot air rises and cool air falls, so when you look at your fan setup keep that in mind.

Hope this helps :D

Back