• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i'm finally doing it, getting a 5770

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

i really wanted to go big and get the top dog but the money thing isnt working out too well so i'll have to settle on a 5770, i finished paying off my car so thats a big help to begin with.

any way i cant remember but will the 5770 work with 790GX chipsets as in when i am not gaming go to just using onboard video?

any problems with saphires 5770?
probally getting the one with the fancy improved new style cooler, i can post temp results when i get it

the onbaord has some of its own ram (side port model 790gx) for when in the OS for aero and such but i dont see much point in it being on at all if the onboard video is working any way.

so basicly its upgrading the green side, i know i should see a large improvment going from the disappointing 9600gt but i am also buying a processor. probally getting an X3, seeing if it'll unlock the extra core stable but probally wont do that till i get some cooling on the power managment for the mobo. 5200 is fast as its 3.4Ghz but i know theres faster to be had and its a good few years old now

i flip flop upgrades, this would be the flip, replacing processor and videocard, next time will be te flop with mobo and ddr3 ram, kind of a cycle i have going. what ever lags behind eventually gets replaced

XFX has double screwed me over with a replacment before, i wont ever buy any thing from them after that

a lifetime warranty isnt any good when they send you a crap card for you high end card and refuse that the crap card is crap

XFX has double screwed me over with a replacment before, i wont ever buy any thing from them after that

a lifetime warranty isnt any good when they send you a crap card for you high end card and refuse that the crap card is crap

I can concur with this completely!

I'm looking at possibly going the same route as you, but with a crossfire setup. I've personally never had an issue in the past with Sapphire cards, but I am wondering how the noise level on these is. I remember the issues with the 4850's having poor fans and you would have to run them at 100% to keep them cool, and it was looooud.

yea thats why i am looking at the vapor x, last night there was an extra 10% off but when ever i tried inputting the code it went all funky on me and now its not on there any more

oh well, i'm ordering tonite hopefully

the vaporx stays cooler by a few degrees.. i have a 5770 from ASUS and i have it overclocked/overvolted and running at 1000/1375 @ 1.212volts.. so far I haven't had a game i couldnt play with nearly everything on high.. cept crysis, but NO ONE can run that damn thing at full bore without issues.. stupid game!

yea i dont like crysys so that doesent bother me.

this is more of a if i dont upgrade now i am gonna be stuck with what i have for a while and while i am happy with the processor the videocard is not so much. i'm off to order now

edit:
wow newegg is having a slow time. it took my order from submission to shipped 1 and a half hours. not much happenin for them this time of year it seems

Last edited:
I have the Sapphire 5770. I've purchased 4 or so Sapphires in the past for myself and friends, but never had a problem that put me through any return/warranty service - guess that speaks something positive.

Nothing to complain about regarding performance - It's been a very long time since I played current games at maxed out settings. Never before at native 1900x1200 :D!

Current rig is in sig.

The noise was insignificant/imperceptable relative to HDD's, stock Phenom II heatsink and 3 slow 120 case fans with the case door open and doing non-gaming apps. This is the revised "egg" cooler by the way - I understand the plenum-style heatsink sounds like a dirt devil.

That said, the stock Phenom II heatsink, while pretty good functionally, is not too stealthy in terms of noise. I just replaced with a relatively silent tower style heatsink/fan and now there's only one significant noise source - the previously masked stock 5770 egg cooler. It's nothing I can't bring myself to ignore, especially with my case door on - but the room doesn't go dead silent either when there's a break in gaming music/sound effects either. Definitely a likely non-issue should you game with a headset/earphones. Outside of GPU-intensive games, computer is effectively silent to my ears.

I hope I've made clear these are my subjective thoughts - I know my ears aren't the most discerning but do prioritize silence over higher clocks if that helps give some perspective/context ;).

X3 por favor :)

aye yae, can do. it might take me a bit to get things going, will it throw you off it it was in windows 7?

can I ask was your replacement fiasco with xfx NVIDIA related?

yea it was, i had an awsome 7900GT that the ram was going out on so i sent it in, they said they were going to replace it so i thought cool another 7900GT or equivelant, but no they sent me a 8600GT and it was dirt *** slow compared to the 7900, that and the fact it used a propriotary PCI express connector and they didnt send it with it and it took alot longer for them to send it i said thats it for XFX/Pine.

double lifetime warranty isnt any good when they send you crap as a replacment

I have the Sapphire 5770. I've purchased 4 or so Sapphires in the past for myself and friends, but never had a problem that put me through any return/warranty service - guess that speaks something positive.

Nothing to complain about regarding performance - It's been a very long time since I played current games at maxed out settings. Never before at native 1900x1200 :D!

Current rig is in sig.

The noise was insignificant/imperceptable relative to HDD's, stock Phenom II heatsink and 3 slow 120 case fans with the case door open and doing non-gaming apps. This is the revised "egg" cooler by the way - I understand the plenum-style heatsink sounds like a dirt devil.

That said, the stock Phenom II heatsink, while pretty good functionally, is not too stealthy in terms of noise. I just replaced with a relatively silent tower style heatsink/fan and now there's only one significant noise source - the previously masked stock 5770 egg cooler. It's nothing I can't bring myself to ignore, especially with my case door on - but the room doesn't go dead silent either when there's a break in gaming music/sound effects either. Definitely a likely non-issue should you game with a headset/earphones. Outside of GPU-intensive games, computer is effectively silent to my ears.

I hope I've made clear these are my subjective thoughts - I know my ears aren't the most discerning but do prioritize silence over higher clocks if that helps give some perspective/context ;).

well i am getting an OEM processor so no heatsink, the current heatsink i have should handle it, it also seems to work better than the new versions of the same thing, i think theres difficulty when going from nickle plated coating to the copper underneath. but any way it should handle it. i belive this windsor is a 125 watt processor stock and its OCed like hell.

i'd look it up but the AMD compare page for processors is stuick on AM3, i hope its just a bug and they didnt remove the option to look up older sockets to 754 on it

That's what I thought. While I have been happy with nvidia I can see that re branding BS as a reason NOT to go with nvidia, However I bought and XFX ati card, and unless ATI starts doing the rebranding BS You won't have anything to worry about I think.

i don't think XFX really looks at the differences that way. I think all they go by is its a newer model so it must be faster right? Nvidia has so many fooled with those games they play.

I'm not worried that I bought from XFX with an ATI card. :)

well the rebranding stuff is part of it but i'm mostly going for ATI because their faster and cheaper than nvidia and they dont have as many problems with their drivers like they used to.

not i am talking pre catalyst, rage 3d/AIW era drivers

well the rebranding stuff is part of it but i'm mostly going for ATI because their faster and cheaper than nvidia and they dont have as many problems with their drivers like they used to.

not i am talking pre catalyst, rage 3d/AIW era drivers

For sure I am very happy with my 5850.

any benchmark requests?
i am downloading heaven, 3d vantage, 3d mark 06.
i dont have many games but i do have a copy of dirt 2 i can download, i found an un-used or not scratched off voucher for a free copy via steam in a dumpster.

It will make a massive difference in 06... but thats b/c it calculates the number of cores and speed in its score. ;)

Enjoy your GTX260 216...........err 5770. hehe! :)

Back