• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Really old screensavers you used to like?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Back when screen saver used to be important, there were many variety of screen savers for Windows 3.x and System (predecessor to MacOS)

One that I used to enjoy were the 3DPC series. They ran on Windows 98 last time I was able to use it. They haven't been updated in years and is now an abandonware: http://thegamegrid.com/3dpc/3dpc.htm

Recently I tried using them under Windows XP on my laptop but that didn't work. On a hunch, the 3D files are viewable with some media players as series of images. I was able to convert one of them into animated GIF: http://personalpages.tds.net/~wilykat/bars.gif (almost half a meg, 56K beware)

Another screen savers I used to enjoy were the After Dark series for Macintosh. AT one time I had every single expansion and even had the hard to find Virex-D module that was removed from M.A.D. pack (replaced with classic Life simulation) because it was abusing the HD too much. After Dark doesn't work well under OS 8 and is not supported under OS 9 or X. :rain: My favorite had to be Fish (A.D. 2.0) and Flying Toasters (A.D 3.0)

So what was the old screen savers you used to enjoy that is no longer supported today?

3D Maze what the @#$% when I saw it the first time on Win95. My brother and I sat and watched it for an hour.

Flying Toasters with the red baron song, hell yeah.

There's a few others I like, but they're available in Linux (like MatrixGL)

Windows bundled 3D Pipes with custom textures. I wasted a fair amount of time just searching through directories for textures to try out.

Graphical screen savers are not important... for three reasons, which are;

1. You're not at your computer to see it.
2. Can't do system maintenance when CPU is pegged @ 100%
3. Uses more power when not in use. Why?

Let me tell you a quick story that some system administrators will laugh at...

About 15 years ago I was a network admin for a company of 80 workstations and about 30 servers. I did some service on a Exchange server version 5. After about 30 minutes the screen saver kicks in, and everyone's e-mail froze.... I ran to the data-center to see that the server was changed from star-field simulation to some 3D object crap! The Director of IT was yelling at me, what the hell happened... I said some dingbat, changed the screen saver on our server!!!.... He turned RED.... It was him... He never bothered me again!

There are only a handful of screen savers that I use, because of my three rules I have posted.. A screen saver should be just that... Minimal usage of the pixels... My personal favorite is the star field simulation as it takes 0% CPU to run... The others are Blank, Mistify, and XP logo.

I don't know how many hours I stared at starfield as a very dazed teenager, but I am sure it was quite a few.

Don't forget the bouncing ball/pixel on the Apple machine in your 3rd grade classroom. ;)

All of the old screensavers I can remember on my old Windows 95 like 3D Maze, Pipes, and Flowerbox were my favorite.

There is one screensaver I am trying to find that I used to have long ago. After I installed a game for my 95, it mentioned on the CD it had a screensaver I can install and use. For some odd reason, while browsing through the folders to find it, I found another screensaver that I went ahead and installed assuming that was it. Checking it out though, it wasn't exactly what I thought it might be (I think this came from my Sonic 3 CD-rom, so the screensaver would contain Sonic), but I ended up enjoying it anyway. It was a very basic 2D night city with stars twinkling above it, the lights inside the tall buildings turning on and off occasionally, and every now and then there was a shooting star.

Strangely, today, while browsing through the same old CD-rom of mine of Sonic 3, I couldn't find that same screensaver. The screensaver was part of something completely different than Sonic but again I enjoyed it. I do want it again and I have searched through Google but all there was was newer screensavers of night cities.

Back