• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SMP2 introduces new points system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChasR

From the Folding Forum Announcements:

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=13039

THis is a very long post.

In summary, if you have a dedicated Q6600 at 2.4 GHz, you'll make the same ppd as on SMP A2 WUs. If you have a Q6600 at 3.2 GHz, you'll make slightly more on SMP2 A3 than on A2 WUs. If you have multiple GPUs running in Vista or Win 7 they're going to slow A3 production to less than A2 production at times, depending on the WUs on the GPUs.

If you have a machine slower than a Q6600 you will make fewer ppd on aA3 Wus than you did on A2.

If you don't run 24/7, your ppd will be hosed.

If you have a machine faster than a Q6600, expect a nice bonus.

If you were running Windows SMP, you're going to catch up with the Linux crowd and make more ppd regardless of the type machine.

so this is good? or only good if you have a stock ( I dont think anyone here has one but ) q6600 and in XP?

I know you dumbed it up for us , but can you make it dumber for me ?

q6600 stock and XP: good or bad
OC'd q6600 and XP : good or bad
Stock 6600 Vista : good bad
OC'd 6600 Vista : good bad

The reason for asking is I want to get back into Folding again and want to know what to run. I have 2 q6600's slightly oc'd , 1 vista 1 xp

Based on Kasson's data, you won't need a VM to make 4600 ppd with your stock Q6600. I'd say that's good.

Again per Kasson, you will make about 6100 ppd with a Q6600 at 3.2, without a VM.

The OS will only matter with multiple GPUs. Current nVidia Vista and Win 7 drivers use enough of the cpu cycles to slow the A3 WU, just as they do with A2 WUs in those OSes, but it makes more difference due to the non linear points system.

It doesn't say when it'll be available. I'd go ahead and configure for SMP2 if I were running the Windows SMP client on all but the slowest machines and if I had a Linux SMP rig faster than a Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz.

I just updated to the 6.29, and just got my passkey. So with a single 9800GT, I shouldn't get too much of a PPD hit on SMP2? Is it only enough of an effect on the client if you are running multiple cards?

well i guess that is good news, with some new rigs i can borg, setting up VM;s was a pain, but it was better then the realibility of the windows SMP client!

so can you use the drop-ins or not? I always do.

also what else do you have to do...

I just dropped in the windows binary. It resumed folding ok. But it looks like the linux client has to be re-installed. I couldn't find a drop in binary for the linux client.

Hasn't the Linux client always been drop in? Extract the file into the your folding directory and make them executable.

I just used the drop in for the Windows client. It picked up from where I left off, but I did notice an "Improper Core Termination" error, or something to that effect. I made sure to close the client with CTRL+C. My thoughts are to set the -oneunit flag and let it finish before using the drop in. It still finished the unit, and sent it in. I just hope there were no errors in the WU because of it.

If you have a machine faster than a Q6600, expect a nice bonus.

i assume this only applies to quad core rigs then, since in different circumstances say a E8400 @ 4ghx could be faster then a Q6600 @ stock.

That it will be. Only those dual core users on Windows SMP have any chance of seeing an improvement.

If it folds faster than a Q6600 at stock, you'll see an improvement in ppd, unless you're running multi gpu in Win 7 or Vista, where sometimes you'll be faster and sometimes not, depending on the WUs.

Back