Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > AMD Motherboards
AMD Motherboards
Forum Jump

In need of motherboard advice

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 01-24-10, 06:16 PM Thread Starter   #1
BigMak911

In need of motherboard advice

Hey guys, team huddle time ...need some advice. Here's what's in the build I'm currently working on:

Phenom II x4 965 BE 125W C3 (hoping to get a 4GHz OC)
2x Powercolor Radeon HD5770 1GB 875MHz
8GB DDR3-1600 OCZ Black Edition RAM
Xigmatek Dark Knigt Cooler
Scythe Ultra-Kaze exhaust fan
22x DVD-RW from LG (I've heard all the raging against bluebirds, but I'll update the firmware immediately and it was cheeeeeeeeeeeeap)
Enermax 720W SLI/Xfire PSU
Rosewill multicard reader
Dlink b/g/n card
2xUSB/2x1394 PCI card with an azio bluetooth dongle on an internal port

So here's the question:
Between the Biostar TA790GX A3+ and the ECS A790GXM-AD3 Black series motherboards, which should I go with and why? (Note, I aleady have both of those motherboards as each came separately with a package deal on something else I bought, so ideally it'll be one of these two, but if both are REALLY bad, and you guys have advice on how I can sell them pretty quick to afford a different mobo, I'd consider that too).
BigMak911 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 01-24-10, 08:12 PM   #2
trents

I'm not a real fan of ECS, especially for overclocking. Sometimes their bioses are really lacking in overclocking features even when the necessary hardware is in place. Biostar makes some good boards but some bad ones too. Do your research.

RAM: 16 (4x4) gb Team Group Vulcan 2400 mhz @ 2176 mhz / 11-13-13-35-2T
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 7870
Case: NZXT Source 530
PSU: OCZ 750W
Storage: Segate 480 gb SSD + 2x300 gb WD Velociraptors

Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6
trents is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-25-10, 02:26 AM   #3
ScottinIndy
Premium Member #28

I've used Biostar boards in a couple of builds and never had an issue with them. Never used an ECS board.

Phenom II 1045T, Gigabyte MA790XT,CM 212 EVO, Corsair Vengence 1600 2x4 gigs,EVGA SC GTX 660,Patriot Torqx 64 gig SSD,Seagate 320 Hd, Corsair 520HX,S.B Extreme Music, Antec 300 Illusion case. Windows 7 64bit HP 23" IPS Panel

ScottinIndy is online now   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-25-10, 12:55 PM Thread Starter   #4
BigMak911

How well have your Biostar Mobos overclocked compared to others you've used?
BigMak911 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-25-10, 06:57 PM   #5
ScottinIndy
Premium Member #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMak911 View Post
How well have your Biostar Mobos overclocked compared to others you've used?
One was a build for a friend, The other for my wife, Both have been running with modest overclocks for approx a year now. I did not try pushig either of them hard when built. They both had plenty of O.C.ing options and pretty good NB cooling.

Phenom II 1045T, Gigabyte MA790XT,CM 212 EVO, Corsair Vengence 1600 2x4 gigs,EVGA SC GTX 660,Patriot Torqx 64 gig SSD,Seagate 320 Hd, Corsair 520HX,S.B Extreme Music, Antec 300 Illusion case. Windows 7 64bit HP 23" IPS Panel

ScottinIndy is online now   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-25-10, 07:19 PM   #6
Bobnova

I've only used one Biostar board and one ECS board.
The Biostar was a 790gx chipset, it had plenty of overclocking options but they were laid out very strangely, and it doesn't recalculate ram/ht/CPUNB speeds as you change the bus speed like Asus boards do. Worked fine though, got a decent OC out of it.

The ECS board i used (use, really) is a bargain basement G31 chipset, considering that it has basic memory options (667 or 800 speed, and the four main SPD options) and FSB as the entirety of the overclocking options, it does really well.
I got a 3ghz P4 to 4ghz, my e5200 padmodded for more vcore is running at 3450 right now, and my e1200 padmodded for 333fsb and more vcore ran at 2.66 for a few months.
The southbridge cooling sucks though.

Never used an AMD ECS board.

Thinking about an Asus motherboard? Think again.

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7
Bobnova is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > AMD Motherboards
AMD Motherboards